Panic Attack & Heart

Deadzy

Hey, I'm new here. My name is Hakon and I'm 21. Before, I'd have attacks very occationally, but over the last two weeks its been really bad. I had one over at Universal City Walk, and had an ambulance bring me to the ER. Ever since that day it seems like I'm getting one everyday (not as bad as the first, but still sucks). This usually happens when I wake up and am awake for like an hour.

Anyways, alot of the time when I'm not having a full blown panic attack, I feel like a pain/tightness around my heart. Naturally this freaks the hell out of me. This is going on almost continuously throughout the day for the last week. Does anyone else have a problem like this??

Len

Yes I have the same problem. I am trying to control my panic attacks and they are a little less severe now but I occasionally feel as if my heart is going to pack in because of the strain I am putting on myself. My Doctor said it is highly unlikely that I could suffer from a heart attack at such an early age but it's the feeling of tightness in my chest that really feels like I am going to have one.

The only thing I an suggest is going to see a Doctor and perhaps a psychiatrist cause it is probably all in the mind.

Oh, another important thing is to take control of your breathing and that may stop the panic attack coming. Just do a search on Google as there are loads of sites that offer advice on how to breathe properly.

chris420

I read in a book about anxiety I think called 'Hope and help for your Nerves', which said that you can't actually damage your heart in any way by having a panic attack.

The pain/tightness could be something unrelated though you might want to get it checked out.

Deadzy

Thanks for the advice. Len, its comforting to hear others going through the same thing so thanks :] The doctor said my heart was fine (just bumping fast at the time of the attack), and this tightness of the chest really just came after that attack. i have the dreaded NO HEALTH INSURANCE, so tomorrow I'm really hoping to find a free clinic or something, even if I have to wait hours upon hours to get checked.

PanikySarah

Chris420 is right, you can't harm your heart from panic attacks. I always got chest pains when my panic attacks were bad.

kt2222

the chest pains are muscle cramps usually something to do with the adrenaline pumping around are bodys..

i do have a very mild heart it cant kill me.. just not great for a panic attack as at rest my heart beats at 115 so can you imagine how fast my heart goes through an attack highest was about 170 .. i would get chest pains and tell my doctor i was having a heart attack .. my very british very british humoured doctor replied.. you'd bloody no it if you were having a heart attack darlin... well that shut me up ! mind you did make me laugh

just keep thinking if you having a chest pains every time you get an attack the last one didnt kill you so it's not your Heart.

My doctor was very true when he said.. convince ya self your leg is falling off etc.. but the one thing to crumb panic attacks is to get it out of your head that your HEART is packing in!!

danieldd04

Yeah i have the same problem and im going through all the precautions to make sure it is not my heart. So far i know through an ultrasound that my heart is normal structurally and ive had many ekgs and they are all normal. I get chest pains all the time, i think because youve had a panic attack you probably are over thinking this pain. Probably before you ever had an attack you wouldnt be so paranoid. It is still very very scary for me. and im still looking for advice myself.