Overactive Thyroid & Caffeine

(The two things in the title aren't connected by the way!)

I was reading a couple of threads on bodybuilding.com about the effects of caffeine on the body. What got me thinking was it actually increases production of the stress hormone. So, as a previously avid drinker of coffee, I figured I'd do a trial run with no caffeine for a while and see if it reduced my sweating (with perhaps the caffeine producing stress - anxiety - sweating). Needless to say it's not made a noticeable difference.

On another note, I was reading up about thyroid problems (both overactive and underactive). There is a history of thyroid problems on my mother's side, with her and grandpa both having been diagnosed. Reading about the symptoms of an overactive thyroid which correspond to myself are weight loss, mild anxiety, and excessive sweating. I had previously linked to my random weight loss to sweating (as we sweat a lot more) and sweating/anxiety to the vicious circle of sweating-anxiety.

I am making an appointment with the docs to get tested for an overactive thyroid to see if this is perhaps the reason for my sweatiness (rather than full blown HH). In a way I hope it is, as it may be treatable, but in another sense I hope not, as it means I'd need to take tablets for the rest of my life which won't bode well for a possible career in the military :|

I will let you all know how it goes.

lg09

Hi I work out alot and typically drink coffee before I work out. I am also having my thyroid tested soon and also ruling out rheumatoid arthritis. I have axillary HH and just started Robinul yesterday. I am experencing Raynaud's symptoms so trying find possible connections.

How did your appointment go?

bigchris

I believe I have brought up the concept that the thyroid is to blame, can't remember the response but I think it was negative.

BTW, standard blood thyroid tests are very ineffective, measure your basal body temperature, all you need is a thermometer. This will give you a fast and accurate reading of your thyroids health. Above 98f is good.

bsammy

i sweat like crazy too and eliminating caffeine helped but i still just rain when its warm out..im going to start taking inderal so hopefully that helps..

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I have an off and on hyperthyroid/overactive. It definitely ups anxiety and physical stuff. I am not sure how getting it treated if you have that condition will affect your military service; many ppl take things for various conditions in military obviously some things will be too severe to join, I don't think thyroid pills are, hopefully not.

Caffeine - overall, it does affect you maybe ups stress hormones more it is a drug... but I know coffee... strong coffee for me how it changes my mood and fires my neurons quicker I seriously feel a big difference. Quicker, a little more confident. Problem is it may make mood swings worse. But makes me think I have a chemical imbalance idk not sure how caffeine affects anyone else everyones different some can't tolerate it.