Ostracism at my workplace - very depressing

Hey fellow SPW brothers and sisters.

How are your guys' life going?

Well, for me, I have an uncertain future about my career. Very uncertain. So that has been keeping me "down" in the blues.

I work as an aide/tech at a local hospital. I like the facility that I work at, and I tend to float around to different departments, so that I am not stuck in one particular floor or department. Most of the departments have employees who are good to me. But there is one, eh, maybe another, department that tends to have rude employees and mistreat me.

Yesterday, I was assigned to work as a tech in the critical care unit. I had to "observe" a patient so to speak.

I didn't mind doing that work yesterday, as I had a LONG day the previous day, which sapped me of my energy. Hence I didn't mind having to watch a patient pretty much throughout my shift.

Came lunch time, there was a pot-luck party for one of the nurses on the critical unit floor who was going to be leaving.

During lunch time, the nurses and their own "core" aides were chatting amongst themselves. Nobody ever bothered to bat an eye at me.

Then came the part that made my blood boil.

One of the aides said, "oh you guys get together, let's take pictures together." Literally, that girl never even bothered to include me in the picture. :thumbdown:
Then another employee gets out her smart phone and told other people seated on the other side, "okay peeps, let's take pictures of you guys too!" :thumbdown: Okay, so I am not one of their own department people. But heck, one of the ladies was from the pharmacy department, and why the hell is she included in the photo??!!

I work my *** off, day in and day out, for whichever department I am assigned to.

What also pissed me off was when I was taking my break and walking to the cafeteria for coffee, I overheard two of the aides talk amongst themselves, and mentioned my name, while giggling. When I asked them what they were talking about, they simply ignored me.

Anyhow, that's my rant of the day, and how depressed I am feeling right now.

sonia

Hi,

I have faced the same since childhood . I used to be upset at this behavior , I thought things would get better when I become and adult and they did but this behavior never truly disappears... The truth is some people never grow up. They are stuck being a child. This is a difficult situation and the only true way is to ignore and strengthen yourself. Try as much as possible to form a group of your own and stick to it . These imbeciles dont do well when new people are around ... It takes a grown up for that ... Also remember tables turn , things will get better just hang on

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Hi Thelonelynomad. I can empathise with your situation. It used to be much worse for me in my current workplace than it is today. Yes there are some people who like Sonia said they never grow up.
The truth is people like those are actually quite insecure. They will band together and poke fun at others just so they feel better about themselves.
The best thing you can do is to ignore them. If you react, you are only 'feeding the fire'.. or giving them something to talk about. You will become their focus all the time if you let it. I found a good way to deal with that situation is to make yourself a wanted and valuable workplace member. People will soon need (and even want) to involve you workwise because they know your work and work ethic is good.
When these moments inevitably present themselves, you don't need to be chatty, or suck up to them. Just be polite and give a little smile and see if you can help them. You won't always be able to and never let them take advantage of you.
I know it seems tough when someone else tells you these things will improve your situation. These are the things I have learnt that worked for me. Good luck.

AtTheGates

Banned
for some people its really hard to get on people's good graces...ans its even harder when you suddenly find out that you're the guy that nobody likes and you didnt even DO anything to anyone....really sometimes it likes "wtf did I do?"

and sometimes I wonder if it would even be WORTH it to kiss a bunch of as$es just in some vain attempt to get people to like me...its like, is there even much of a POINT?...do i even LIKE these people or do I just want to be accepted by them?

I think you might be suprised with how much it has to do with surface level/superficial bullshit......just dressing generically and acting like some jovial ba$tard.

and also, I think some people like to have a designated person that they can talk shit about and put down all the time...and basically treat them like they're not as good as everybody else....its like it stimulates their ego or something.

its especially frustrating when you KNOW that you're not really all THAT different from everybody else but you're still viewed in such a way.

Last edited: