OCD is ruining my life. Need help.

Ana

Yes, I'm not diagnosed with OCD but it is plainly obvious.
It's controlling me now. I'm a 16 year old girl who would rather scrub her entire house than catch a movie. Then I have all the signs of depression; so it's not just the controling but the sadness.
I have silly fears. I am afraid of the stitching in my clothes coming apart, getting chemicals in my mouth and dying in a fire.
I clean all the time, it's my way of controling my life. I disinfect doorknobs and toilet seats. I countinualy scrub the counters, floors, tables, lamps, doors and anything else that I think has a speck of dirt on it.
Now I am becoming a germaphobe as well. I wash my hands all the time, disinfect all the time and continualy feel dirty and 'germy'.
I'm going insane! Please give me some suggestions or just a comment saying 'hey I know where your coming from!'

thumbs

Ok. I don't think being clean is a bad thing and everyone has fears. I think many people may worry about food poisoning for instance and take precautions like washing their hands and that.

Ana said:
Yes, I'm not diagnosed with OCD but it is plainly obvious.
It's controlling me now. I'm a 16 year old girl who would rather scrub her entire house than catch a movie. Then I have all the signs of depression; so it's not just the controling but the sadness.
I have silly fears. I am afraid of the stitching in my clothes coming apart, getting chemicals in my mouth and dying in a fire.
I clean all the time, it's my way of controling my life. I disinfect doorknobs and toilet seats. I countinualy scrub the counters, floors, tables, lamps, doors and anything else that I think has a speck of dirt on it.
Now I am becoming a germaphobe as well. I wash my hands all the time, disinfect all the time and continualy feel dirty and 'germy'.
I'm going insane! Please give me some suggestions or just a comment saying 'hey I know where your coming from!'

Hi,

I just would like to say I know where you are coming from and please don't go insane. You can fix it. I have had OCD for about 5 years now and I have been able to control it almost indefinitely and with the help of only myself and my family and friends. No medication and no Psychiatrists. I am not saying not to seek help through Psychiatrists, but you have the ability to fix it on your own if you choose.

Anyways, I started having problems when I was 16 as well. I had a problems driving, with germs, chemicals, and a number of other things. As far as the chemicals thing goes, I was afraid to get near anything that could potentially poison me because I thought I would somehow swallow it on accident and then......thats the end of me. I was scared to death to go anywhere otuside my house because I thought I would get some sort of germ or virus or who knows what else on me.

If you have people around you that are supportive then that is the best thing you can have to start off. From there, just go at a pace that makes you feel comfortable. If you want to gone fast then force yourself to do things that scare you, but do it at a reasonable pace. You just have to be as patient as possible. If you feel like you need to talk to someone then by all means go see a Psychiatrist. They may be a lot of help. It really depends on you and whether you want their help or if you want to do it on your own.

Sorry this is so long

Just remember, you can control this and you will

Good luck

Mustang6767c

LittleMissMuffet

Hi Ana,

Check out the thread titled: "I'm new please help" in the OCD Obsessive comoulsive Disorder Forum.
I've written here what I would write to you now.

I hope that what I suggest in that thread helps you out. It would be good if you were given what would help you out as soon as possible. I think that "Mindfulness" could.

Ana

Thank you everyone!
I will consider all that you have said. Honestly, I think seeing a doctor is my first step.