OCD is killing me!!!

pjc104

I can't enjoy anything without obsessing over the dumbest crap... I've stopped taking medication about a week ago, and I don't have another appointment for two weeks!! I feel trapped and I have so much other crap to worry about with school, work, and training for a sport.

I don't have time for these obsessions.... How can I get myself to enjoy life?!?!

yesnomaybe

(PJC104, I have some advice, but realize that I am just an ordinary guy who has been dealing with OD like so many others. You have to decide for yourself whether the advice can help you or not, since every person is in a unique situation. I am not a trained professional, merely someone who's dealt with OD with much success and now has a personal perspective on the subject.)

First of all I have to tell you that I understand the frustration. My obsessing was so bad that it caused me to become horribly nauseated. This lasted every single day for about one and a half years. Imagine how your stomach feels when hung over. Well that's how I felt day after day, from the moment that I woke up to the moment that I went to bed.

You have to read a book called Brain Lock, Free Youself From Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior, by Jeffrey M. Schwartz. I have a great doctor, but I wasn't getting the feedback that I needed from him. This book brought it all together. In conjunction with the meds, counseling and the behavioral therapy that the book discusses, I've come a long, long way. Soon enough you will also, I'm sure.

In the meantime, I'm afraid there are no quick solutions. Staying busy helped me a lot.

I do have one suggestion for dealing with it, though -- something that made a huge difference for me.

First, be mindful of your thoughts. Then, when the obsessing begins, calmly stop the thought, tell yourself something like "ok, this is the disease kicking in, not me", and refocus. Simply move on.

At first you're going to be doing this over and over, but it will eventually give you great results.

Why is the above helpful? To get the details, read the book I mentioned. In the meantime, this is my way of explaining it.

Well, first, in order to stop an unhealthy behavior, you first have to recognize that you're doing it. This seems obvious, but many times we indulge the obsession for a long time before we catch ourselves. The sooner we recognize what's happening, the better. This is why being mindful is so important.

Second, you want to undo the behavior without accidentally reinforcing it. When we tell ourselves to stop thinking about it, we're actually reinforcing it. So, by simply and calmly acknowledging it for what it is - the disease - and moving on, you're teaching yourself to refocus without making a big deal about it. In other words, no accidental reinforcement. You are not fighting or struggling with it. Leave the emotion out. It's simply an annoyance. And the less attention that you pay to it, the quicker that it will fade.

There was a time when my OD was so severe that I wasn't even able to do the above. My brain was a broken record playing the same tune over and over. However, once I got a little better it helped me a lot.

Good luck and hang in there. There are better days ahead. It just takes patience, therapy, meds, positive behavior, and time.

getbornagain

You need to take steps towards a healthier brain. Seriously, don't stop taking your medication. The meds help big time, it takes 2 months to stabilize but is well worth it.... Take GABA, omega 3, inositol, calcium/magnesium. Excercise, you will feel better I guarantee it. Take all that shit and read books/articles on OCD. Get to know your disorder so you can recognize synthetic thoughts/feelings from real thought/feelings. You have to fight back. The road to recovery starts as soon as you start walking down it.

yesnomaybe

Take vitamin d daily, including magnesium and calcium supplements to help the body absorb the d. Symptoms of a vitamin d deficient person include depression, fatigue and constant, mysterious body aches, all of which I've been dealing with my entire adult life it seems. Turns out, two weeks ago I was diagnosed as being severely vitamin d deficient. Ain't it a b*tch.

I recommend cod liver oil for the vitamin d, a, and omega 3's. A ratio as close to 1:1 between vitamin a and d is the way to go. don't overdose on d though. it's fat soluble.

getbornagain

I think GABA is the most important. It controls the anxiety response system in humans. I was shocked when I learned this, and how little it is talked about as a potential OCD reducer. I started 2 days ago taking GABA in addition to the other things I mentioned, I'll let you all know if I notice a difference in a couple weeks.

yesnomaybe

thanks getbornagain. I will certainly appreciate your feedback very much. In the meantime, I'm going to have to look into it. I've never heard of it.

Noca

Banned
To the original poster, next time you get to see the doctor, ask for the medication called "Anafrinil", its generally accepted as the best OCD med there is.