not sure why im even posting this but o'well

abc1234

I really hate posting shit like this again but im just so frustrated and have basicly noone to go to so sorry in advanced for my meaningless bullshit.I'm sure it's something alot people here have a problem with do you ever just get the overwelhming feeling of complete and utter emptyness and nothing seems to matter and nothing can put a smile on your face or take your mind of whats bothering you or thinging why am i still here.Thats basicly how iv been feeling for as long as i can remeber pretty much. now im 22 and i got nothing going for more just geting sader and sader as each day goes by working a god awful job.I just dont know what to do anymore.any useful things or ways to change alittle with out help from doctors any advice will be helpful thanks in advance to anyone that actully reads my pathetic bitching and moaning about pointless problems.

LemonKiss

Hi. I don't think you were pathetically bitching. That must be awful to feel empty for so long. My advice is to think about it so much that it becomes uninteresting. Go through a lovely existentialist phase, dress in all black, notice only the suffering in life. This will get it out of your system. The only way out of something is through it. I really, really, really hope you will find happiness in your life. I don't know you, but I care, I promise I care. I'm actually tearing up here. I really hate thinking about someone out there suffering alone.

My other advice to to listen to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, very loudly and dance around like you are a ballerina on speed. Also, you should get a really quirkly hobby, like collecting dice. Maybe your job is bad so you should find something wonderful about it. Like, noticing the dumbness of it and trying to make jokes in your head (like Jeremy Hotz would) that you could tell other people.

Keep on dreaming of a better future okay? Things will get better.

LittleMissMuffet

Hi abc1234,
One suggestion I can come-up with is that if you wanted to, you could get involved with a volunteer effort to help people who like you (and me) are finding life difficult, who lack meaning because of it. That way it could help you empathise better with what you are going through.

Sort of like how when life is difficult a person wonders why it is like this for them. And it can be really hard to find anwers and a way out of it. But if you take a look at other people and think of them as your self, you can appreciate that the struggle people go through is very real -and anything but meaningless. Instead of the easier way that we think most of the time -which is that people who are down-and-out are just weaker than others or otherwise we just don't relate well enough to the difficulty that they experience.

Other than this: you could look at the world with a clean slate and think to yourself- how is it possible for anything bad to exist without an equally good side to it? ...think about this simple understanding, and ask yourself: could the reality of things be any other way? ...and so, when you are going through darkness and meaninglessness, even before you've found your way and found the meaning in it, you can think to yourself: well, it surely isn't possible that meaning doesn't exist. And I think that this makes it easier to give meaning to one's life, because what it means is that the emotional struggle through all things unpleasant and unhappy, goes with an equal amount of good in a person. -That it means that there exists an as yet untapped potential to experience and live the exact opposite feeling of what you are going through now -that the greater the low, the greater the high and the greater a person's capacity for a low the greater their capacity to be and experience the other. ...and whilst it is certainly a challenge believing in this now: ask your self whether any other version of the truth is even possible. ...all people who go on to do and achieve truly great and wonderful things, if they are truly great and wonderful, they could only have become this way through having overcome a lot of darkness and obstacles. ...if they are really really wonderful it is equivalent to how much hardship they have overcome; and how much darkness and doubt they've passed through.

And in the meantime, because there is simply no other version of truth that matters or that, for the matter, lasts in the ever-changing world, simply trying one's best is always good enough and deserving of respect. ...afterall, a truly good and wonderful person would judge you in this way and who else's opinion could be of any real meaning and worth to you?

jonnyC

Well from the sounds of it, you are suffering from mild to moderate depression. You are depressed about your situation, your job, that you are no longer a teenager and that you feel trapped in this ongoing boredom.

You need some excitement in your life. Like has been said, a hobby or time with your friends.

IF your job is getting you down that much then you should look for something different. It is extremely common for people to feel bored and frustrated at work. I don't understand why people stay in a job that makes them so unhappy. I guess it maybe easier to stay in it rather than find something else.

You are young and could take on an open university degree? a part time course? You can still have an effect on what you do in the future.

abc1234

thanks for commenting it means alot that even a few people would do so.
Its nice to know that complete strangers can care about someone elses pain.
Resently It seems like im just in a worse mood and more depressed then i used to be and its becomig harder and harder to maintain the little bit of hope that i have.I didnt think when i was younger that id grow up to be as big of a loser as i did I've got pretty much no friends,never had a girl friend or anyone that really ment anything to me in my life.It never really got me as mad as it is now im just so frustrated with everything at the moment.And this is the only place that i feel that i can be open and not be judged or put down.Anyways about the hobby thing i sorta have a one it not collecting anything but its some thing that i enjoy doing its pretty much that only thing i still enjoy doing.well again thanks again for the comments. later

LittleMissMuffet

I abc,
With having very few friends and no girlfriend -I have less than 3 friends. Only one would I consider particularly good right now. The other two I barely hear from, say once or twice are year. (Recently in fact, I stopped bothering to call one, which mught be a bit wrong of me; she's always been a little userish, but more than this I feel as though I need to separate from her so that I can go in a different direction ...maybe I'll call her eventually).

And as for boyfriends: I'm 28 and have never had one. Have only really been on a mere handful of dates my entire life; all of which took place over 6 years ago. And recently I was fired from work for the 3rd time; and otherwise have not been employed for more than a week since 2001.

.....can you beat that record!!!!!! :wink:

So how the hell do I keep it together?

...actually, yeah, how the hell DO I keep it together??? 8O 8O

So, I guess I'm not so much trying to compare scars with you here, so much as telling you that you're life may not be as pathetic as you might think. ...you know, I do suffer from 'what the hell have I done with my life? gees I have a sad social life' ...but I don't really think I'm pathetic. I think this is because I am such an INNER person.

Some cruel, more sad people than my self were quite nasty and judgemental towards me- you know the sad sods that lead such interesting, excitement filled lives themselves that they are simply compelled to spend their time gossiping behind one's back about how sad their life is; whereas me, I've got more interesting things to waste my time on than criticising others. Frankly my world is not so empty to bother with that. And that is the thing that keeps me going you see: my inner world is very rich and exciting. ...It has begun to pall a little in that it makes it harder to be fulfilled when I'm around others. But otherwise I truly value it immensely.

So I suppose that is how I feel. And I think that I work my way in life from the inside out and since when is this better or worse than another way.

abc1234

Hi again, I guess why I'm so frustrated is because I'm afraid that I'm going to die alone and never truly be happy and have family of my own and just continue to disappoint my family which I'm sure that's what i am.there oldest son and I'm pathetic.I'm scared that I'm going to be alone forever.I'm so shy and have never been good at making new friend I'm not sure to what degree my SA is if that's even the problem or not.I understand that your not trying to compare scars or anything like that.Its nice and also sucks to read that other people have the same pains and it sucks because people have to have the same pains.I sometime wounder if we do live other lives was I a bad person in an other life or something.Because I cant think of any good reason why nice people have to suffer and be alone.Yet murders,gangsters,pedo's,drug dealers etc etc...you get the idea bad people. they can do the shittiest of shitty things but they get to have life's granted they don't get caught by the law.Now know not all those types are happy alot do those thing because they feel bad about them self's but i just don't understand how good,caring,loving etc etc... get fucked and life depressing unfufilling lives and regret not doing things but if given the chance to have a do over the out come would be the same.Atleast for me it would be.

LittleMissMuffet

Hi acb1234,
I read in a book once:
'How do you judge a life worth living? ...is a life worthless because a person spent most of it out of work and in isolation from society only to write one poem years and years later that made millions happy and helped them understand their problems-? ...or is a life worthwhile if a person lived well by most peoples' standards- they worked and participated in society, but all throughout made others' lives a misery?

...what I'm saying to you here is: by what standards do you judge a 'good' life...?

You know how I told you of those 'sad sods' who judged me as 'pathetic' because they rightly guessed that my social life was largely devoid of action, and yet I still held onto the notion that they viewed me too much solely from the perspective that having a lot going on means you are happy. ...how happy could such people themselves be, if, given their action-packed social lives, they still felt such a strong
need to attack and criticise my life -does THAT prove how much 'better' and 'happier' they are than me? ...because if the value of a person and their life is solely about 'what they have DONE' and how many friends they have, how many nights they go out on the town ...well, then why were such people so lacking in happiness that they needed to take such a strong interest in my life and criticise it so as to make themselves look and feel superior to me?

And, you are right in that these people continued at their job whilst I was sacked, yet I didn't judge them anywhere near as harshly as they judged me. So yes sometimes the 'good guys' lose and the 'bad guys' win ...but just what do they win? If trampling over others in order to 'win' is 'winning' then it's a very poor definition of the word 'win'.

I know that it can be very very hard to appreciate, but maybe you are looking at the wrong things when you think about 'winning' and 'value'.

You may worry that you will be alone for the rest of your life, but how do you define the word 'alone'? How many people are technically not 'alone' physically but do not themselves know how to make a proper emotional connection with another person? ...or are you fooled by the way it looks and what such people would often have you believe -that there is only ONE way to live one's life, and that all things worthy are decided by 'how many friends a person has', 'how active and extrovert they are' ...that all these ways of judging worthiness are the only kinds that exist.

...and if they are, then why is it that some people that I have met with such lives showed me through their words and judgements just how truly unhappy and emotionally diconnected they are-? Becuase if I should judge my life by the same standards of worthiness that they do, even if I were 'successful' at meeting these standards, apparently I still would not be happy or fulfilled. ...and maybe also, being the one judged is, at least for the time being, better than being the one doing all the judging and thinking he 'has it all together' -at least the 'bad treatment' of others is causing me to wake up and not sleep-walk my way through life as much. But what chance does a judgemental person who gets to keep his job have of waking-up from his illusions??

abc1234

Im not much a reader but that sounds like an interesting book.I wouldnt say that someones life is wasted do to not working or doing social things.I think its a wasted life for not taking advantage of oppertunites or telling people that are important to you how you feel about them while you can i regret not telling people that they were important to me and being open with them so they could understand why i didnt alwas like hanging about with them and would not want to do things with.That pretty much why i lost most my friends by just growing to far apart from them.Having an active social life and a great job isnt what makes a good life,just being able to have close friends,a good family,and a signific other is what the meaning of a good life would be for me.So even shity people can get those things.And i feel as if i cant ever obtain those things because of my lack of ambiton.Maybe someday I will but right now things arnt looking very good.The peope who are pathetic are the ones that judge people for there lack of a social life or shit job etc.. I Know that there are a ton of people who on the outside appear to be all together but on the inside are a complete mess with emotions and what not.Im sorta in the middle sometimes i can appear to have my shit together and then most of the time im a complete fucking mess but yeah things i suppose will get better as time goes by because i dont think they can get much worse

LittleMissMuffet

Hi abc,

I was wondering how old you were. I remember having felt like you at times; that in looking on my life it seems as if I'm sleep-walking because I'm too uptight and afraid to join -in and so I end-up missing out on so much. And I'd be sort of caught-up in my high standards and desires to connect and be happy with others and a fear and anxiety of this not happening ...I'd end-up feeling like I had some form of 'social impotence'. You know how a man with sexual impotence gets too excited too quickly and peaks too early so that the actual joy of the event is never attained. And then the next time he's anxiety is even greater and his desire to connect with someone, so that it just happens more and more often. He's not only left with the lack of fulfilment and sense of isolation, but he feels like a failure because he cannot do what he sets out to do.

...that's a way of describing my social anxiety. It sometimes is a pretty accurate description of me. ...not very flatterring, but accurate. You might be a bit different, but anxiety is a kind of vicious circle one way or another.

The only thing I really wanted to say to you, other than tell you that I think I understand your feelings and your regrets, is that sometimes a person cannot get to where they want to be unless they pass through being where they don't want to be. Sometimes the quickest way of getting over what stops a person from living life to the full, is actually experiencing not living life to the full. BEcause whatever deepseated ideas and beliefs you have that keep putting standards on you that you struggle to reach, because they are so deeply engrained they are hard to change (simply because they're so automatic and deep in a person), sometimes the quickest way to your losing these and choosing to go about life in a way that would make you happy, is to experience going through life according to these beliefs and seeing and experiencing how they don't make you happy. ...If you're eager and refuse to give-up, this will also help you figure-out what these values and beliefs causing you repeated pain and disappointment are. If they are deep, they are harder to see and to therefore change.

I think that those who suffer anxiety are highly sensitive individuals. When you're sensitive, you have a lot on your shoulders: there is a lot of emotion to get control and perspective over. And I think that when a person is going through tough times where they feel 'socially impotent' (my word!) that this is when your personality is forming. That all that frustration, disappointment and sorrow is going in to form a person with a great deal of emotional depth and appreciation for people. Socially anxious people already care a great deal for others; but having control over emotions is much harder to achieve and especially the more emotion there is to control in the first place. ....Yet, by the same token, imagine that you had this and how interesting and wonderful a person you would be. ....Now, step back and see how even before that person has fully blossomed into being, how they're already on their way to being that. ...even just your regrets, can actually be really positive, since they can serve as reminders later on for how you wish to be instead; and the sufferring you experience not being connected with others can give you a great deal of appreciation for a wider range of people and their situations, and can allow you to have a real depth of understanding and empathy for different people and the emotions they go through. It's like how everything in nature changes and cycles. "Happy you who are hungry now, you will be filled later" and "Happy you that cry, later you will laugh".

Now is the time when who you are and what you are about is undergoing a reshaping and remodelling.

babyblue

If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination!

It's not much but it helps me.. the best piece of advice I can give is-
When you stop taking things for granted your life improves dramatically.

..and hey phobias add character after all.

Jade