Night Terrors, Panic Attacks? Which one am I?

kubba

Hello.

Thanks for these forums.

Ever since I was a small child, I would wake up in the middle of the night with a nameless fear or a very strange fear, for instance; a thought in my mind about pushing a giant boulder over a distance (and the thought of the exact distance) would wake me from sleep and I would walk about like a zombie. My family told me it was sleepwalking, but I remember everything from the episodes. Stupid and irrational things would scare me, like the concept of me being "here" and the other side of the room being "over there" would trigger pangs of panic (strange, yeah?).

I am 20 years old now and still suffer from these episodes from time to time (I may have as many as 7 a year). The most recent episode was just a few days ago (it was over some stupid thought about strange people fighting for control) and I was able to quell the attack in about six minutes when I flipped the TV on; in the past however, some of my attacks have lasted for an hour or so. The trouble is, most of the attacks (at least within the last eight years or so) are triggered by my IBS (Irritable Bowel) and after I have an attack, especially as of the last one, I worry about losing control of myself (schizophrenia comes to mind) and eventually being consumed by irrational thoughts (e.g. during evening bike rides I worry about muggers).

I can honestly say that the majority of my worries are bollocks. I am a Hypochondriac, and I know irrationality when I think it, but that doesn't mean I have the mental capacity to fight off my worries. I think the problem is getting worse, because I've had two panic attacks in broad daylight since January.

Someone please tell me I'm not going crazy, I've suffered with these problems for years and I have never had an official diagnosis (it should be noted I'm not looking for one here). Anyone else suffer with these problems?