nick names

blubs

Hiya

I wrote someones nickname down when posting a comment earlier, and I noticed it had a really nice sound....like an American Indian name.(I wont say the name in case they don't want me to)
My nickname is not so pretty :lol:
So I was wondering about nicknames generally............
like....has any one had a nickname that has hurt them...
or...why did everyone choose the names they chose for this site?...
or...if you had an American Indian name...what would it be?

mine would be....Walks On Big Feet :lol:

Toad

I seem to be a magnet for nicknames which is odd because my first name is only one sylable...doesn't really bother me though. The only two nicknames that have stood the test of time, and that people now call me by are Toad and Fill. Toad really has no origins...someone just called me Toad one day, and that was that. Fill comes from my last name...which is long.

black_mamba

I was too excluded at school to be ever branded with a nickname, so nothing stuck. The most imaginative thing anyone could come up with was Mouse.

Genius eh? :roll:

Scottish_Player

I've never had a nick name i always wanted one though :( i always wanted to be called Max for some reason when i was a kid but it never happend :lol:

ignisfatuus

All through high school I was referred to either by my last name or various permutations thereof (mostly by the less flattering forms). A teacher actually came up with it when I briefly joined up to play basketball (by force, I had no inclination to play, and finally caved into the frequent requests by teachers and players who wanted me to play because of my height. I quit after about three practices. Being cut down every five minutes isn't my idea of fun). To this day, when someone calls me by my last name (which is a frequent occurrence in so-called alpha male activities), that old sensation of humiliation, shame, and anger re-surface.

outside_looking_in

Aw shame Scottish Player, well you can be Max on here! :wink:

I think Cryptolysergick is the best nickame ever, hope they don't mind me saying it --either he/she spent a good while dreaming that up or just has a brilliant mind 8)

Spent ages staring at the screen the night I joined up here, trying to choose a name ... considered Keep Stumm or Zipit cos the root of my probs is saying the wrong thing, but didn't want to be known as something so negative (great to have the choice for once eh! :D ) Then there was Soul Searcher or Wordsmith, maybe a bit pretentious I thought. Then I imagined myself in the work canteen, or in the pub (on rare occasions when dragged there!) watching people sparkling or making twits of themselves in equal measure, and it came to me. I'm Outside Looking In. :)