Nice to Know We're Not Alone - Facial Hiperhydrosis advise

Grak

Hi All,

I was overwelmed when I hit across this forum. For year on end i've been, and what felt "condemned" to the condition of excessive facial Hiper.

Although I suffer generally from it over my body and underarms, the embarrassing one for me is facial.

With me being a social photographer, I meet large groups of people and am always embarrassed for having to keep wiping down my face in front of them (although being as descreet as I can).

I've tried all of the usual remedies for underarm etc etc but want to know what other treatments are available especially for the face.

Nice to meet you all too.

Keith. :D

bill-uk

Keith,, I have a post below 'Facial sweating', I'm sure you've already seen it. It gives my experiences over the years and documents my relative success with probanthine. Facial sweating is a nightmare as you well know, but I have had some success with my treatment as you'll see.

I also have to offer that at 45 years old, 5 foot 8 and close to 14 stone I'm probably not helping myself either . That said, years ago, when aged about 16 and close to 11 stone and mega fit, I still sweated profusely.

This is why I see the condition as physical rather than mental. Good luck.

willyb

Is probanthine widely available bill?? I mean, I'm travelling around a bit at the moment and am not always in major centres. Should I wait until I get back to London to get a script?

Are you going to give it a go as well Keith? Its nice to hear a few different viewpoints from people in a similar position. That being said.. its winter here in the land of Oz and quite a relief.. except when you go out for a cosy dinner or something.. Not good on a date!! Takes away the suave factor haha

WillyB

ps, It has nothing to do with your level of fitness... i'm 26 and have had it since i was 18 and have a fairly fit and active lifestyle

bill-uk

Willyb, as far as I know it is freely available on prescription, though my doctor was initially reluctant to prescribe. That is because of the side effects for those taking it 4 times a day, which I don't.

Interested to hear that you agree about the fitness angle. You are quite fit but suffer all the same. This last couple of months, I have been trying to lose a little weight and have lost nearly a stone, and get my fitness levels back up again. Been walking, cycling, playing squash etc. I feel a whole lot better in myself generally, but in truth the sweating is just the same as always although I think it stops quicker when you stop exerting yourself.

I have never come across a person who sweats more than me (facial) in simple situations. Today we did an 8 mile walk and it was only 18c. My face was wet after half a mile or so, my shirt front after another half mile. My hands, feet and armpits were fine !! I finished feeling great in myself but totally wet facially!! But i wasn't at all tired or aching.

I leave the tablets in these situations as I can cope with it. Tomorrow, working in London will be another matter when the tablets will come out in support .......

wacked

This forum is wonderfull and terible at the same time. Its wonderfull to be able to get advise from people with this same infliction. But its terrible to hear other people suffering the way I do.

I went to get a hair cut today, its not that warm ,but I was in the chair 2 minutes when the sweating started. As I'm sure you are all aware, once it starts its a viscious circle. You get concious of the sweating, which only makes it worse. After 10 mins my face and hair was wet, the cut hair was sticking to my face and neck. It was one of the many embarassing hyperhidrosis moments of my life.

I am waiting for secure wipes to arrive from canada. I will let you know how I get on with them.

willyb

Secure Wipes

haha! sorry, I'm only laughing coz i really know what its like!! Its so unecessary isn't it?? Stupid cycle feeding off itself exponentially... and for what??
The same thing happened to me recently.. I went for an interview to apply for a loan and I was fine until a point where I thought to myself.. wow, i'm not sweating too much for a bloody change!... and lo and behold, that set if off...... you can feel it coming.. uh oh... uh oh... damn!

I'm also going to try secure wipes before probanthine but I'm worried that you can only wipe your face and not your scalp (if you have hair that is)...

Does anyone know if your facial sweating is stopped.. is the whole of cranial hyperhidrosis halted?

bill-uk

Wacked, I relate to that yet again. Haircuts have to be planned to avoid this. I always go first thing in the morning when the temps are low but it is always at the back of my mind. My first bad experience of this was 18 years ago, when after walking half a mile at lunchtime to the barbers, I felt myself well up with sweat as she cut my hair. I apologised and said I wasn't feeling too well. Its bad enough on the face, but as you probably know it comes from the head too, down the back of the neck and behind and in front of the ears. You feel 'trapped' but can't get away.

Whist my probanthine continues to work for me, I'll also look at the wipes. Having a couple of ways to counter the effects is better the one.

neobes

Facial and Head Sweating Drug

Hello,

I can commiserate with everyone here regarding the craniofacial sweating. The sweating certainly gets in the way of many aspects of life. Whether giving a public presentation, getting a haircut, getting out of a warm shower, or God forbid, being on a date, I've been sweating copiously from the face and head since I was a young child. I sweat all over, but the face sweating as you know is the most embarrassing socially.

I have tried the strong deodorants(e.g. Odaban) with no results. Two weeks ago I ordered a product called Avert(glycopyrrolate 2mg) from a Canadian pharmacy called www.pharmacy.ca. The capsules arrived two days ago and I took my first one yesterday. You must be CERTAIN to take the capsule on an empty stomach - at least one hour before eating. The temperature here(Dallas, Texas) reached around 40C at its zenith yesterday. I DID NOT SWEAT A DROP. I don't know if this will continue or not. I had none of the negative side effects mentioned(dry mouth and eyes, dizziness), and I could not believe standing in 40C sun I was not sweating. Anyway, I hope I've found my cure and wish you all well. By the way, I know that glycopyrrolate is available without a prescription in Canada, and perhaps in Europe as well, but they told me to consult a physician to be monitored while taking this drug(which I have not).
Cheers!

Romax

Yes! I sweat for a while after coming out of a shower. What is that? I usually need to sit down with a cool drink for 20 minutes or so. It's like a shower activates your sweat glands. I'm going to try the probanthinine. I tried taking oxybutynin but noticed it dried up everything but my head.

B

Bucketsofsweat

Hi there,

condolences to all on this problem.
I seem to think that the facial hiperhydrosis has become worse as I have got older but
it could be because I am more aware of it because of getting back into the dating scene.
(I wonder if there has been a general rise in humidity levels which make this more
apparent?(Sydney,Australia)).

Anyway,at 46,fairly fit,slim and vegetarian I get caught out frequently with this problem.
Went to see a few bands with a girl and it got quite hot inside the venue.Of course I started to sweat profusely,even cold drinks didn't seem to help and the mortified look on
the girls face wasn't encouraging.
Stepped outside to cool down then returned but made sure that I stood under one of the
few ceiling fans which made so much difference (the smallest of airflows makes all the
difference.Hot but not so much sweat).
But the end result was that I never heard back from the girl.

Then went on a date to the movies with a very,very nice girl.Outside temperature wasn't
very high (18C-20C) but the walk to the cinema started to make me feel a bit warm.
Finally in the cinema I started to sweat badly (couldn't wait for the lights to go down).
20 minutes later I was cooling down nicely but I was quite anxious that my date had
noticed.Despite cooling down my hands remained quite sweaty so any tactile approaches
were off the agenda.

The other downside about the sweating on the face & head is that my hair gets damp and
then emphasizes the fact that my hair is thinning (if I keep it well washed it isn't all that
apparent)
Really,really...really frustrating as appearance,as you know,does matter a lot
(unfortunately I don't have the personality to cover the hiperhydrosis problem).

I sympathize with you guys (and girls) and am grateful of the experiences you have
detailed & solutions you have mentioned.
Dating at my age doesn't get easier and problems like this really dent the confidence.

I really envy those guys & girls who seem to be able to wear anything,anytime and
hardly break a sweat.
Could be worse I suppose but still a major social hurdle.

Will be checking back to learn more
Cheers
Peter