Newbie...

dinexdashed

Hi, I just discovered this forum. Here's a little about me.

My name is Shawna & I'm a 21yr old female (almost 22). About two weeks ago I was at the movies with my family (something I do quite often) and I started to feel sick (hot flashes). I went to the bathroom, but I wasn't getting any better. After sitting in there for over an hour, I got someone to get help for me. The theater workers kinda flipped out a little and called an ambulance, but after 8 hours in the ER and numerous tests, they said I probably had the flu.
I thought maybe I was having a reaction to my first shot of Gardasil from a few days earlier. Between that and possibly having the flu, I just assumed I'd be okay by the end of the week.
The next weekend, the same thing happened while I was grocery shopping. I had to sit down on the floor, then get my dad to take me home.
After each one of these 'attacks' it takes me days to get over it & lots of gravol.

Up until yesterday I thought this was all because of flu/the shot, but I went to see my doctor and she said it sounds like panic attacks. I am a very worried type of person, but I've never had a panic attack in my LIFE.

Now I'm really scared this is never going to go away & I can't stop crying. I'm even more worried because my boyfriend & I are going away this weekend and we have all these fun things planned & I'm scared I'll ruin everything.

There's nothing bad happening in my life: I'm really happy with my family, I love my boyfriend and things are going really well in general. I'm a vegetarian, I eat normally eat well, I've recently started exercising (about a month ago). I just don't understand how this has suddenly developed.

Also, I'm having trouble eating. I can't eat nearly as much as I normally do and my stomach feels very uneasy. Does anyone else have this problem/how do you deal with it to keep your blood sugar levels normal?

Thanks =]

Hi Shawna, welcome to SPW!

Sorry to hear about your 'attacks'. People who worry a lot can definitely become sufferers of panic attacks. But don't let this take over your life. If you start avoiding going out, you'll only get worse. Learn some deep breathing exercises and read an Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) self-help workbook before this escalates into agoraphobia.

http://www.thehappinesstrap.com