New

Katjelique

Hi,
Practically everyone in my family has some sort of social phobia or anxiety issue. For me I avoid calling people on the phone, I have trouble speaking up in group settings, and can get so paranoid at times that I can bring on a panic attack. For a year I have been part of a very political group and the members keep getting on me about speaking up more in discussions or meetings. One on one, they say, I speak great and have great ideas, but once I'm in a room with 3 or more I shut off and don't say anything. For a bit, one of them worked with me where I would plan ahead of time what to say, but since I went home for summer to spend with my family I seem to have gotten worse and now my friends in the group are just confused. I don't want to try to explain why I can't talk in meetings (I can't logically explain it) and I feel weird like they would be pitying me or thinking less of me since I have trouble with this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm glad there is a group on the web here. Being at a competitive university, it's hard to find people who have this. My boyfriend doesn't understands (though he tries) and my family justs accepts it, but due to what I am interested in, it makes me confront this on a daily basis. Thanks for the support, just reading others posts make me feel better.

Anonymous

Welcome Katjelique
I have the same problem in group settings, esp. when the number exceeds about 5 - number varies depending on my mood at the time. This is even a problem in anxiety support groups I (try to) attend. For odd reasons it gets worse this time of year, and climaxes in Nov.
One on one I'm generally fairly ok.

As to how to explain yourself, I think it's best to just be honest about getting "somewhat anxious in group settings" (but only if asked). I wouldn't use the phrase 'social anxiety' or 'social phobia' (if it were me) - these phrases (in my experience) tend to conjure up strange reactions because of people's lack of knowledge on the subject.

H