New to the forum -- a little about me.

Drea073

A brief story about me; I believe it was about 7 years ago that I began having these panic attacks. I was losing control inside but no one could see it on the outside. I received treatment, was prescribed Paxil and life was going on as good as it should be. I struggled with the fact that I had no idea why I would ‘freak out’ so to speak at sporting events or even the grocery story; that has and continues to be my biggest issue.

I stopped taking the Paxil and getting professional help about 4 years ago; I attended college, earned my degree all without the help of something or someone for my disorder. I kept telling myself that it was all in my head and that I can control it. That seemed to work for a while until the last 3 weeks I have had waves of attacks that are more serious than before.

I went into the grocery store one morning when I thought I would be safe because there wouldn’t be many people there and as my cart was half full I felt one coming on; I ended up leaving my cart full of food and walking so fast to the nearest exit just to get out of there. I felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I couldn’t breathe. In these last three weeks I am more anxious then I have ever been and this time people are beginning to see it on the outside. Last weekend I went out to dinner twice in a row when I was out of town; twice I had to get up and leave the restaurant

I have considered seeking professional help again because it seemed to work; I cry out of frustration because I have no idea what is going on and why they have come back to disrupt my life again. . I keep trying to control it in my own mind but it’s just not working.

I was told once that panic attacks could be brought on by something traumatic in our life; I don’t know how true this is but sometimes I believe it.

It is truly nice to know that I am not alone in the fight against it…knowing how frustrated we all are helps to know that there are many people who share these same issues and are trying to deal with it every day.

ioanna

You are talking about panic attacks and i dont know if we can connect this with social phobia..i mean it happens only when you are with people only?I get panic attacks when i have to cross a road with many cars and when i have to go to a place with many people..So i dont know if i can connect this with social phobia..
-when i found this site i couldnt believe either that there are actually so many people that can understand me-