New and unsure

Lozz

Hi.

I'm new here and am not quite sure what to say

I think I may be suffering with mild or moderate agoraphobia. I dont have massive panic attacks where I cant breathe or pass out but I do get incredibly anxious when actually doing something like leaving the house on my own or sometimes, even just the thought of having to leave the house on my own makes me panic and burst into tears, or even when I'm just about to phone someone I dont know I will really panic and it will often result in tears

for about 2 years now I have been having troubles leaving the house, I feel most safe here, I have never in my life had the confidence to travel on my own without feeling terrified, that goes for buses, trains, trams and planes. I need to have someone with me who I feel I can rely on or I won’t go, I depend on someone else all the time. If I do go on my own I often get so scared about not having control if something goes wrong that I nearly burst out crying on the spot. I ask people around me for help with where I am going and they often look at me as if I'm crazy. And as if a girl my age should know what I'm doing on a bus or a train etc.

so to avoid that whole situation I tend to just stay at home.

I do take driving lessons. I see that as easier than having to rely on myself with public travel. I feel more in control in a car, but even my driving instructor notices that I tend to fear things when driving and it will cause me to do something totally out of the blue and stupid.

I'm sorry if I'm wasting people's time but I think I have been living with this condition for quite some time and I've only just realized due to recent circumstances.

do these sound like the symptoms?

I also have no idea where to turn with my problems. The only thing I could think of was the thing I have been most comfortable with over the past 2 years. The internet forum.

Thank you for your time

Silvio

Good luck getting a resonse from anyone on here.. I asked a similar question a while back & what i found out was that noboy gives a shit.. they only care about themselves..!!

maggie

Lozz said:
Hi.

I'm new here and am not quite sure what to say

I think I may be suffering with mild or moderate agoraphobia. I dont have massive panic attacks where I cant breathe or pass out but I do get incredibly anxious when actually doing something like leaving the house on my own or sometimes, even just the thought of having to leave the house on my own makes me panic and burst into tears, or even when I'm just about to phone someone I dont know I will really panic and it will often result in tears

for about 2 years now I have been having troubles leaving the house, I feel most safe here, I have never in my life had the confidence to travel on my own without feeling terrified, that goes for buses, trains, trams and planes. I need to have someone with me who I feel I can rely on or I won’t go, I depend on someone else all the time. If I do go on my own I often get so scared about not having control if something goes wrong that I nearly burst out crying on the spot. I ask people around me for help with where I am going and they often look at me as if I'm crazy. And as if a girl my age should know what I'm doing on a bus or a train etc.

so to avoid that whole situation I tend to just stay at home.

I do take driving lessons. I see that as easier than having to rely on myself with public travel. I feel more in control in a car, but even my driving instructor notices that I tend to fear things when driving and it will cause me to do something totally out of the blue and stupid.

I'm sorry if I'm wasting people's time but I think I have been living with this condition for quite some time and I've only just realized due to recent circumstances.

do these sound like the symptoms?

I also have no idea where to turn with my problems. The only thing I could think of was the thing I have been most comfortable with over the past 2 years. The internet forum.

Thank you for your time
hey Lozz..welcome :!: you're right, that it sounds as though you suffer the same symptoms of many of us on this site, whether it be agoraphobia, social anxiety, or a combination. I can relate to the stress you feel about talking on the phone :x ..and you're not wasting anyone's time, there are lots of people on here who can try to help you..and at least you have lots of us to talk to, and we feel as you do :wink:

maggie

Silvio said:
Good luck getting a resonse from anyone on here.. I asked a similar question a while back & what i found out was that noboy gives a shit.. they only care about themselves..!!
kind of a rude,(untrue) negative response to someone whose just posted for the first time and looking for help silvio..and if you say noone cares or will respond to her..what did you do to offer her any support?

Silvio

maggie said:
Silvio said:
kind of a rude,(untrue) negative response to someone whose just posted for the first time and looking for help silvio..and if you say noone cares or will respond to her..what did you do to offer her any support?
The truth..!! You have to be cruel to be kind..!

Lozz

maggie said:
hey Lozz..welcome :!: you're right, that it sounds as though you suffer the same symptoms of many of us on this site, whether it be agoraphobia, social anxiety, or a combination. I can relate to the stress you feel about talking on the phone :x ..and you're not wasting anyone's time, there are lots of people on here who can try to help you..and at least you have lots of us to talk to, and we feel as you do :wink:

Hey, Thank you dor replying to me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who fears using the phone(makes me feel less "alone"). I wanted to call an agoraphobia helpline earlier today and I couldnt do it. I totally panicked. I then thought to turn to an internet forum.

I 'll stick around and read other peoples posts and maybe I can understand the symptoms better,

thank you

maggie

Lozz said:
maggie said:

Hey, Thank you dor replying to me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who fears using the phone. I wanted to call an agoraphobia helpline earlier today and I couldnt do it. I totally panicked. I then thought to turn to an internet forum.

I 'll stick around and read other peoples posts and maybe I can understand the symptoms better,

thank you
you're welcome :) ..isn't it ironic that the very things we need to do to seek help, involve the very things that scare the crap out of us.. :wink:

Lozz

maggie said:
Lozz said:
maggie said:

Hey, Thank you dor replying to me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who fears using the phone. I wanted to call an agoraphobia helpline earlier today and I couldnt do it. I totally panicked. I then thought to turn to an internet forum.

thank you
you're welcome :) ..isn't it ironic that the very things we need to do to seek help, involve the very things that scare the crap out of us.. :wink:

YES! lol, I was thinking just that..My mum told me to ring a doctor earlier about it. She had to do it in the end. I'm nearly 19 years old too, I always feel so stupid when I cant do simple things like that :oops: