Neurologist for sweating?

jay77

I have tried almost every treatment for my sweating that there is (botox, drysol, iontophoresis-which worked but was too time consuming, robinul-worked but bad side effects, and drysol)

After trying almost everything, someone suggested that I go see a neurologist. What would a neurologist do differently? I have been looking everyday and have seen no new treatments. Currently, I am taking sea salt tablets because I read in a post here that they worked for someone, but so far I haven't seen any real changes after 4 days.

Jezza

I have tried almost every treatment for my sweating that there is (botox, drysol, iontophoresis-which worked but was too time consuming, robinul-worked but bad side effects, and drysol)

After trying almost everything, someone suggested that I go see a neurologist. What would a neurologist do differently? I have been looking everyday and have seen no new treatments. Currently, I am taking sea salt tablets because I read in a post here that they worked for someone, but so far I haven't seen any real changes after 4 days.

Went to a couple seperate ones on seperate occassions, one prescribed me artane, which is an anticholinergic but one of the kind that crosses your blood/brain barrier. It's primarily used for people who have parkinson's disease mitigate the shaking. Pretty much the same thing as oxybutynine in benefits/drawbacks

Another was kinda rude and didn't really know what to do with HH and made it quite clear to me that he couldn't really be bothered either. Anyway ultimately he suggested I start using gabapentin. Seeing how the conversation went I wasn't all that psyched about using it but I did read up on it cause what's to lose right. Turned out this drug has been used in a whole slew of afflictions including HH (seems like it's one of those go to drugs for in this case neurologists 'when in doubt prescribe this poorly understood drug gabapentin') but there was nothing really hopeful there about it's potential as an HH medicine and having already tried literally a dozen different drugs and seeing the potential drawbacks of this one plus the fact that it was a longggg shot at best to actually work I decided to not start with that one.

In short; though I personally think the answer lies in 'the field of neurology' as opposed to dermatology most neurologists you'll find in practise will probably know less about HH and how to treat it than your average dermatologist (maybe I should say even less although it's picking up attention) and certainly they don't have a magic bullet either (not yet anyway).

Last edited:

akala

This is the same thing I have. I want to try electrical treatment for it. I heard it's very effective.
Also try putting on deodarant for some time then washing it off.
If it's your feet I find polyester socks help the most.

jay77

This is the same thing I have. I want to try electrical treatment for it. I heard it's very effective.
Also try putting on deodarant for some time then washing it off.
If it's your feet I find polyester socks help the most.

What do you mean by electrical treatment? iontophoresis?

akala

Oh I guess i didn't read carefully enough to see you had already tried it, yes iontophoresis. (if you haven't already) you can make it at home too.

wannabedry

hmm interesting, my current dr. wants to try giving me gabapentin soon, shes trying out clonidine now and shes considering adding gabapentin soon. I guess its time for a "cocktail trial" anyone here actually try gabapentin yet either for sweating or just for anxiety? im considering a cocktail of probanthine, gabapentin, and clonidine. ill probably feel like a space cadet but ill try anything to just not have to change clothes every hour and hear people ask me "are you hot??" im just gonna start answering no actually im REALLY REALLY COLD! i just took a cold shower cant you see? it baffles me that im living in a tropical place (florida) and noone else seems to be hot, I even see people here with sweaters sometimes, and I need to actually stop and stare, im gonna start approaching them and ask "are you cold? LOL