need advice please

Blink

Hi everyone. I want to go to a doctor or something to get help for my social phobia (I have not yet been diagnosed but I am pretty sure I have it) and was just wondering if taking pills for it actually helps? And what about therapy?

Fighter86

I am no expert but I think u can be given benzos for the short term relief of anxiety(it works quickly to help relief u of some anxiety) and an SSRI to improve your mood.

As for therapy, it is most likely that u r going to be on CBT(cognitive behavorial therapy)..which is what most social phobic people undergo... :wink:

Scottish_Player

Hi Blink,i went to the doctors today to talk to him about SA?/SP for the first time it was rather nerving but iam glad i done it now,he gave me lexapro i havent taken any yet but i'll keep you posted.Iam like you in thinking will they actualy work but i have no options left and i dont see the harm in giving them ago as i cant realy feel much worse than i felt this morning.If the work then good :D and if they dont well what harms been done it just means i'll need to try and find something that does work :roll:

Hope it works out for you when you go :wink:

Blink

Thanks for the replies :D
I hope it works out for you Scottish player. I know that taking drugs or therapy should help.. cause otherwise they wouldn't be used.. I just keep thinking that I can ignore my problems and they'll go away, but I know I need to get help. I'm thinking of telling my parents about everything so they can help me see a doctor. For some reason I just keep putting it off though.
Well anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Scottish_Player

Blink said:
For some reason I just keep putting it off though.

Hey again Blink,iam no one realy to try and give advice about doctors as it took me ALOT to go but what i did was got my dad to make the appointment for me i knew it was going to take a while to get one,it was for 2 weeks away so i had time to think about it all and in the end if i didnt want to go then i didnt have too but just having the appointment waiting for me helped me get that little bit closer to going.

I know its not easy but would you consider just making the appointment? and that way youve got the ball rolling and if you dont want to go then you dont have to.Hope you keep us posted on how your doing :wink:

emmie

HI I JUST WANTED TO SAY I TAKE ST JOHNS WORT AND NATRACALMS IT DOES HELP ME ALONG WITH GOUIN TO A COPING WITH ANXIETY GROUP. ALSO I FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO THINK POSITIVE SO AT MY GROUP YHEY GAVE ME A LIST OF POSITIVE THOUGHTS IT REALLY HAS HELPED :D