My Shortcomings

Shortcomings

I really like the idea of having a mentor to help me work on and overcome my many shortcomings.

Since I don't have one, I have to do that for myself.

This is not about being self absorbed, or being too hard on myself. It is about objectively working on my weak areas so that I can ultimately become a better person.

Areas I want to work on:

1. Learning to be an active listener:

I tend to spend most of the time thinking of my response instead of really listening to what the other person is saying.

2. Refraining from interrupting.

3. I feel the need to be the center of attention. If not, I don't know what to do with myself. (I suppose this thread can be considered another version of this too, oh well.)

4. I'd like to learn true humility. Does anybody really do that nowadays? It seemed like it went out of fashion with the Victorian Era.

5. Speaking only when necessary. I tend to speak just to hear myself talk, or because I feel like I 'should' speak, or because I want to draw attention to myself. ( see number 3 :) )

6. Giving unsolicited advice. I don't know much about anything, but for some reason, I feel the need to share what little I know with as many people as possible. :)

7. Being overly sensitive to criticism. For someone who likes to give out advice, you'd think I'd be more tolerant :)

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited: