My Reflection and Resolution

JeSs42790

It was almost one year to date that I joined this forum, and how far I have come since then. I was still trying to find myself, still groping to realize what was "wrong" with me. I went through a lot since then, watched my friends pull away, watched my family change and flourish around me, when it seemed like I was stuck in one place. I spent most of my summer on the computer, searching once more for what I thought was my "escape" But only found, that people are people, even online. As I started my sophmore year, I felt confident, that after my summer of "reflection and healing" I'd be ready and cured. I stopped visiting my therapist, only a few days before the first day did I go, and started branching out once more to my friends. I felt like a new person, only to have all my hopes come crashing down as I stepped into the crowd for the first time in a long time. I gripped my bookbag, clutching the pockets of my new jeans, looking through the fan of my newly died hair. I thought all these changes to my "outside" would change who I was on the inside. It was startling to see that my happiness was so short lived, and again I felt myself drawing deeper within me. I felt like a rubberband twisted over and over again ready to burst. I kept trying to tell my parents and therapist my feelings, but kept saying the wrong things. As I refused to leave the house again, my mom and dad threatened to admit me, and leave me in a hospital. That was perhaps the worst night of my life. I ran from my parents room to my brothers screaming for him to help.

I kept telling people I wouldn't do it (it meaning leave my house) when what I was really trying to say was I couldn't do it. I was terrified of myself, and what I would do if I had to step out the door one more time. When I finally told my therapist I could no longer live if they made me go out, I felt a certain sense of control, like I had finally taken over my life after a long time of taking a back seat. After that, things began slipping into place. No more did I let my family push me around, I began making my decisions, and setting my boundries. Though I have taken some spills since then, things are looking clearer. I don't go out anywhere, my friends still don't call, but for the first time I feel a sense of contentmant. I am re-discovering myself, in a way I never imagined. I have found a great friend, and talk with him every night, he still doesn't know what's wrong, or why I'm no longer in school, but it doesn't seem to matter. He makes me forget, if only for a little while, that I will never be what society calls "normal". Now I look at myself, all the layers of self doubt, pity, and anger striped away, and I see me in a new light. I am not "recovered" but I am only just starting to feel again. I have no words of encouragemant, no enlightening phrases to help me, just the knowledge that I've come too far now, and I've only begun to un-cover the long suppressed feelings, so I can't turn back, all that's left to do, is forge ahead and pray for the best.

Now more then ever, as I celebrate the new year, alone and quietly in my room, I realize just what it means to be happy. There is no real face to it, there is nothing that promotes it or encourages it. It is just there, with no reason or cause. That is true happiness, and though I don't date, go to parties, or hang out with friends, I feel normal in my own way, and that is all that matters anymore. I will be 16 this april, a two year sufferer of Social Anxiety, Depression, and PTSD, and I couldn't be more happier sitting alone on new years eve.

-Jessie

jamez

Happy New Year!
Its good that you seem to be happy, hopefully if you stay positive you can find more inner peace and other things like SA and depression will automaticaly get better. Good luck with 2006.

allanboy

Hey, happy new year for you, my friend.
If all that you wrote is right, i have a guess that 2006 will be one hell of a year for you :D

JeSs42790

Thanks all! I have faith that this year will be the best i've had in a long time. And worrydoll I know finding your voice can be hard, but it feels so much better once you do. I hope you someday do find it. It is perhaps the best feeling in the world. I found that the initial "saying" it was the easy part, it is keeping those bounderies that you have set that is the hardest. Just think of it like a fence that you have set up around your heart, and imagine that person stepping over it, and trampling on everything inside. Its not a pretty picture, and will sometimes make me feel angry, but it helps me to find my voice, and hold my ground. It was surprising at first, and sent my family into a kind of world war between my grandmother, my mom, my dad, and myself. After years of taking her verbal "abuse" (i am using the word abuse lightly, simply because I have no better word for it), it seemed to shock her that I began talking back. But again, I imagined my fence, and I put her on the outside once more.

And thanks allanboy, I believe it will be!

Happy New Years All, thanks for the support!!!!!!

-Jessie

qipuqipu

worrydoll said:
When I finally told my therapist I could no longer live if they made me go out, I felt a certain sense of control, like I had finally taken over my life after a long time of taking a back seat. After that, things began slipping into place. No more did I let my family push me around, I began making my decisions, and setting my boundries.

thats what i need to do....find my voice.

Seconded. It seems like people have decided what kind of person I am for me, and I'm struggling and failing to get out of this hole. This topic has given me renewed hope :)

JeSs42790

qipuqipu said:
worrydoll said:
When I finally told my therapist I could no longer live if they made me go out, I felt a certain sense of control, like I had finally taken over my life after a long time of taking a back seat. After that, things began slipping into place. No more did I let my family push me around, I began making my decisions, and setting my boundries.

thats what i need to do....find my voice.

Seconded. It seems like people have decided what kind of person I am for me, and I'm struggling and failing to get out of this hole. This topic has given me renewed hope :)

Hun, you sound too much like me! Again, this is where bounderies come into play, don't let people, even those you love, dictate your life. I'm glad I've given someone hope, that makes my time here much more worthwhile. I'd suggest starting off small, a lot fo times people have trouble saying no. Pick the simplest event, I chose a wedding of my grandmother's friend I didn't want to go to. I layed my terms, gave her options, and left it alone. Be a broken record, you don't have to give any explanation.

(i.e-
her-Why won't you go?
me- because I don't want to.
her- you should forgive her for doing that, you're only be selfish.
me- that's your opinion, but I don't want to go.
her- i really want you there, you know I have no one but you, just come for me.
me- I love you mommom, and respect that you feel like this, but I don't want to go.)

A lot of the techniques I get is from a book called "Lifeskills for adult children" It deals a lot with adults who suffered abuse from an alcohalic parent, which doesn't apply to me in the least, but they give helpful tips. My therapist gives me chapters that she thinks are useful to me, but she also said the entire book is excellant.

As for them having a pre-conceived notion of how you feel, this is all too common. Anyone with troubling expressing their emotions, play a facade, or sometimes send off wrong signals. I did this many atime by stating "I wouldn't do this anymore" instead of telling them "I can't do this, can't you see I'm afraid of what I'll do to myself!" Most likely these people you are mentioning, have only the best intentions, but a lot of times, we (meaning those with social phobia) are afraid to share our true feelings, for fear of riticule hate or misunderstanding. Its so much easier to say, when asked how you are "I'm fine". But that my friend, unless a true statemant meaning you really are fine, is a lie. I have trouble with this often, and we get so good at lying, so good at placing a mask over our true feelings, that it becomes second nature. This will only lead to an explosive ending, which in my case happened very quickly. And again, the world wasn't built in a day, baby steps. Don't set a massive goal, one so unreasonable, for you will, in most cases, be left disappointed. Be realistic, tell yourself the next person to ask if you're ok will be the beginning, "I've been better" is a good start, its the truth, and its something you can live with, instead of spilling all your problems, you tell them things aren't their best, and in most cases they will open the floor for you to share.

Well again, I ramble. My biggest advice, and the one I will stand by forever, is to seek help. A therapist, a social worker, anyone who is licensed to help. People can injure someone, without even knowing it. Someone whose job it is to help, will be the best place to go. Find someone you connect with. On the first visit, say to yourself, "can I see myself coming back here and really spilling everything?" If the answer is no, or if you're unsure, they aren't the right doctor for you. Don't risk being let down by them, find a new one. Group therapy, one on one, hypnosis, there are so many options to help us. A lot of people use the excuse "well there isn't anyone out there" or "i don't have the money" and it is just that, an excuse. There are hundreds of plans doctors are willing to offer for you, the world wants you better, they won't discourage you at every turn. Sitting there and hoping it goes away, is another unreasonable hope, and will most definitly leave you disappointed. My uncle is about the richest person I know, he has done everything from a doctor...to gosh I can't keep track. He's brilliant, he's been to hundreds of schools, princeton, almost every college wanted him. He's married, has brilliant children, lives in a huge house, owns another in washington, and he is a 60 year sufferer of social anxiety. He is my success story, and I look to him when I feel unsure.

MWUAH, good luck all!

-Jessie