My problems : (

Mack

Hey guys (and gals),

I just did some online browsing of the word "panic attack" and decided to come here. Just registered 5 minutes ago but I thought this site could help.
I'm a 17 year old male who suffers from "panic attacks". I've been getting them for about 2 years now. I remember the day that i first got one that triggered this whole mess. I was getting a so called Herptz in my mouth before my braces off which required a 3 hour appointment with 4-5 dentists around me drilling. The pain i faced that day was tremendous. I always loved the dentist but today , I feel, ruined somewhat of my life. About 1 hour int othe appointment i began to get symptoms such as hot flashed and extreme panic. I was looking for a way out constantly and i felt like i was going to throw up or wet myself. There were 4-5 dentists around me so I didn't want to get up and take a break so i sat for what seemed like the longest 10 minutes of my life.

Ever since then i had begun to get these "panic attacks". It has affected me both physically and mentally. I now get them in places where im forced to sit in once spot and not leave such as school. I am a very active person , I play varsity lacrosse and run track. I used to be a straight A/B student now I'm dipping into the C's and some D's. I got them during tests and i formed , what i believe, is a severe case of ADD (haven't told my parents) I confronted my parents and realized my Dad had them just like me and he taught me what helped him. Take deep breaths. It never helped me when i tried it. Then they had gotten me a therapist. He did not help at all. Eventually, they slowed down a bit until this year. I am not suppose to be in a high level chemistry class so im failing every term. Her class triggered these panic attacks this year because they said they would not move me down a level and she is by far the worst teacher you could have. I have cried about these attacks ( i know a man crying wah) It just feels good to let out once in a while.

Im sick of this. I just took the SATS today and I had written down "extended time" so at least if i get a panic attack i could catch up on the SATS. But as i got there they said i signed up wrong and was forced to sit through a 5 hour period of constant panic attacks. When i took the PSATS last year ,i got 1 and skipped a whole section because of it. I dont drink to get drunk ( hate it), i smoke weed once every 4 months ( only done it about 10 times maybe) so i know none of those are the problems. I've become sort of anti-social when i used to be the star athlete and most popular kid in school. I have many friends and they all treat me with respect. I know none of this causes the problem.

If anyone has any advice i would love it. Im tired of it. Sorry for the lengthy bit but i had to get this out. Its very relieveing.

de

hi

hi mack welcome
ive been suffering from panic attacks since i was very young about 5 i thought i had them more or less under control untill late last year when i started to get them sometimes one would last up to an hour then id get another one.i found that mine were triggered sometimes from thinking of a situation where i feel there is no way out like commitment that i hate but there is no way of me getting myself out of.
i suffer from severe sa ,so the night before some sort of social event like rugby training which i know i have to go to and cant get out of i get very worked up over because i have made a commitment to the team and there is no way of me getting out of it.so when i feel trapped like that i usually get a panic attack
i presume its something similar with you the feeling of being trapped doing something you dont want to do and having no way out is triggering the flight or fight adrenaline buzz that fuels panic attacks
the way i used to deal with it is instead of repeatedly thinking that fuk i hate training i hate having to do this, id try and think of a reason that i want to do it and just keep repeatig that thought and relaxing happy music helps it sounds basic but it helped me a lot especially bob marley lol
but as i said this only worked sometimes ive started taking medication and everything seem s fine at the moment the only way to get over it is getting help sorry about the long post lol

Mack

de ,

wow man , thats probaly exactly how i feel. Knowing that i have to go somewhere without an escape and the feeling of being trapped is really what triggers it. Also, a few days before ill get really negative thoughts about hwere im going. It never happens socially, just things that im forced to go. Sports are kind of a relief because i can hit kids fucking hard to get some stress out.

Thank you, knowing that someone else out there experiences this haha

tdgower2

Hi there Mack, as soon as i read your post i thought i would have to reply as there seems to be a lot of similarities between your experiences and mine.

Well like you my panic attacks started when i was 15, a couple of days after my birthday actually. As they're pretty horrible things i thought i was going to die that summer, started writing a letter to my parents and that about running away, seems silly now. But they were hard times i admit.

And also like you i was a grade A-B student, and then all of sudden with a loss of memory and motivation, i got C's and D's. At the time of course i was pretty angry and wanted my oldself back if you like, but unfortunately that doesn't happen, well not in my experiences anyway. Instead, after a couple of years of being the most panicky person on the planet, i became quite laid back and more calm. It took a while, but it was the only way in which i could be comfortable.

I've had them for 5 years now, and i can tell u as long as u don't worry about the attacks,and take them as a necessary evil, they will gradually get weaker. It's just the way it is. Also keep doing the sports, that will keep your mind off things somewhat.

Lastly, and i know this might sound weird, but think about the world and the country you're living in. In the whole 4 billion years Earth has been around, no species has ever had it so good as us. Even if u lived 100 years ago there would be a good chance that u would be dead already. Treat every moment u don't have a panic attack as a moment to be savoured, don't become too disheartened by it all, and remember u only have 1 life (well that's my view anyway).

Sorry if that was a bit long, but i hope i've cheered u up anyway!

jofee

Mack ur post has helped me alot!! Im 19 and in my 2nd year of uni.....im 700 miles away from my home in ireland and recently ive been freaking out about everything....today in the library I really thought I was going to die and after hiding it away I broke down and told my house mate...it felt so good not having to hide it and its such a relief to know someones looking out for me.....

im so afraid of not being able to breath...thats wat i think triggers my attacks!!i work myself up n convince myself that my throats closing and im going to die....my tingue feels twice its normal size and i tingle all over!!

I cant wait to get home and see my doctor altho i dnt think I want to try medication.....I used to think panic attacks only happen to older people,sweird how they just come on!!

knowing that its all in my head really helps me.....i just keep telling myself im not afraid.....it seems to work as now typing this i feel fine!!

rosesrred90

Hey mac, here's some earnest advice from someone who had mild panic attacks. I had been on meds for around 6 months but the side effects caught up. So i went about in search of alternative therapies. yoga, homeopath and ayurveda are the ones i shortlisted and among them the yoga seemed the best and it really worked good. First of all you need to be convinced of the utility of the therapy, other wise it wont ever help( maybe some placebo like effect). another thing is that doing the exercises helps you to gain some confidence that you are doing something by yourself instead of relying on medications. It really takes your mind off the panic (thus decrease the dread of having another attack). So even though i will recommend a site in this post, my advice is that you go out by yourself and first convince yourself by looking up the effectiveness of this therapy by reading about it, and then only go in for it.
Another piece of advice- don't go for the exercises without professional help. There is a world of difference between reading and doing and Being instructed. Not doing exercises properly can do harm. Go in for personal instructor or some interactive videos depending on your financial situation (the former being more expensive).

Recommended site- discover-yoga-online.com/yoga-training.html.