My intro

fnord

Hello, everyone. I have to say that finding this group has been a revelation! Thanks to you all for posting here.

Here’s my story. I’m in my forties and have suffered from HH since I was a teenager. I pretty much sweat all over in hot conditions or when doing physical exercise but I guess it’s the head/facial sweating because of social anxiety that bothers me most. The feeling of just getting hotter and hotter and then becoming damp and then having the sweat running off my face and head… And all triggered by things as trivial as answering a phone call or speaking to people in person.

I’ve gone though a few phases of trying to do something about it, and just a week or so ago when I had one of those episodes when a couple of colleagues came over to my desk to ask me to sort a problem out I realised it was time to take some action (again :)) Don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner, but I then began to research this condition on the internet. First thing I found was a few sites offering “amazing” results — all you had to do was buy an instant download eBook. You know, I came pretty damn close to spending the money on one of those, but having a rather cautious nature, I decided to research a bit further first. And that was when I found this group.

I’ve tried to figure the social anxiety thing out a few times and I often wonder whether I sweat because I have an anxiety problem or if I have an anxiety problem because I sweat. The old vicious circle thing, I suppose. I’m pretty sure a contributing factor to the anxiety is the fact that in my first year at high school I fainted in class and all I can remember is coming to, drenched in sweat, with lots of faces looking down at me. I fainted again in class one other time a few years later. During my years at school I quite often got facial sweats in class and I hated physical education as I always ended up covered in sweat when no one else seemed to. Having to sit in the school bus also became a bit of a nightmare. I often used to catch an early bus in the morning so I didn’t have sit with all the other kids on the regular bus. And I’d often stay behind so I could get a late bus or sometimes even walk home to avoid it. I went to the doctor back then. Total waste of time. Looking back on it, he obviously didn’t have a clue about HH, wasn’t very sympathetic, and could only come up with “try wearing lighter clothes”.

Over the years I think I’ve become more and more anti-social and withdrawn because of the condition. I’m really pretty much a loner. I don’t go out with friends any more. I’m only really comfortable going anywhere with my wife and children, and even then it can still be a problem. When I did use to go out, I, too, used to quickly down the first couple of drinks — being more relaxed countered the sweating problem, but it meant I ended up drinking too much! Another coping strategy that I’ve seen mentioned here and that is all too familiar to me is escaping to the toilets to cool down. I’m sure that I would have been far more ambitious with my career and achieved much more by now had I not been crippled by the desperate need to keep a low profile because of this problem.

As I’ve mentioned, my triggers are hot weather (obviously!), exercise, and social encounters. Being put on the spot, having to talk about my self, being close to lots of people, being in an enclosed area with people, eating in a restaurant, eating at home (occasionally), going into shops — especially having to stand in line, also when I’m browsing the items and get the feeling that other people might see what I’m doing, etc, etc, etc. From what I’ve read here I’m sure some of this is familiar to some of you.

Apart from that time at school, I’ve tried getting help from GPs on two other occasions. The first was almost twenty years ago. All that he suggested at the time was to read a few self-help books on anxiety. Which I did. I guess it was some sort of relief to realise that other people had problems too, but it didn’t really help with my problem. The second one must have been about ten years ago and he prescribed Driclor. At the time I was suffering pretty bad from excessive armpit sweating. I could be just sitting quietly at my desk and feel rivers of sweating gushing from my pits (nice!) Anyway the Driclor worked for that. Can’t remember how long I used it, but it certainly did something. And these days I only need to use a regular product for my pits as they are generally pretty dry.

Over the years I have tried various relaxation techniques and self-hypnosis CDs aimed at increasing self confidence. I can’t say that these have really helped much at all. I understand the principles of controlling your breathing, trying to relax, and focusing your attention outwards, but I have to confess that whenever I’ve been put on the spot and have felt an episode starting I have never been able to put any of these techniques into practice. I reckon that to be effective, you’d need to have the appropriate responses programmed at a subconscious level. But like I said, I don’t seem to have had much success with self-hypnosis aimed at boosting self-confidence.

Having read quite a bit on the net now, I ordered a bottle of Odaban (which arrived recently). And while I was waiting, I found the remains of a bottle of Driclor that must have been in my cabinet for years. So I’ve been applying that for a few days and it does seem to be making a difference. Thing is, it’s hard to tell as my incidents tend to be a bit random. My head does seem to be drier though.

I’ve read in a few places about the anti-sweating properties of sage. I have therefore starting taking sage leaf capsules and drinking it as an infusion. Just waiting on an online order of 500g of dried sage to arrive. I had been buying it from the local supermarket, but they only do 10g packs (as a condiment) — so that would work out way too expensive.

I go to the gym quite a bit (about 5 times a week) and have come to accept sweating in public there — others may not be sweating as profusely, but at least there are others sweating too. Five minutes of cardio and I’m starting to sweat, 30 minutes and I’m totally drenched. I also like relaxing in the heat of the steam room afterwards — another place where it’s acceptable to sweat. Now, I don’t really expect anyone to have read this far — I think I’m writing this more for myself as a personal catharsis of something I just can’t seem to talk to anyone about — but if any of you are still with me: do you think regularly sweating it out in the steam room is likely to make you more prone to sweating under “normal” conditions?

Right, I’m going to stop now.

Just one more thing: why are my hands freezing cold a lot of time? ;-)

Namenick

BRAVO!

I have read every sing word of it if this is somekind of a comfort, and dont worry, you are not alone. One for all, and all for one.

Please get in touch with me if you want. I may have some things that may interest you.

[email protected]

bill-uk

Also a guy in my forties, I started to realise i sweated more than the average at about 16/17 when helping stripping wallpaper off walls and i quickly became drenched, mainly on the head and face but also the upper trunk and at that stage I was super fit, playing hockey at county level and southern england, playing tennis, sqash, babminton and running.

It has got worse over the years and i have tried allsorts too, with facial/head being my big problem.

As I’ve mentioned, my triggers are hot weather (obviously!), exercise, and social encounters. Being put on the spot, having to talk about my self, being close to lots of people, being in an enclosed area with people, eating in a restaurant, eating at home (occasionally), going into shops — especially having to stand in line, also when I’m browsing the items and get the feeling that other people might see what I’m doing, etc

Yes i get all the same symptons in all the same conditions. Eating out in a hot restaurant is my sort of nightmare but even washing the dishes at home in the summer brings me out the same way.

Another coping strategy that I’ve seen mentioned here and that is all too familiar to me is escaping to the toilets to cool down

This is a favourite ploy of mine. When I work in london, a few times a month, I put my briefcase down and head to the loos to put my wrists under the cold tap for as long as possible which helps.

The worst of all is at the hairdressers. I always get my hair cut first thing in the moring so normally it is pretty cool and normally ok. But I have had a couple of occasions when you feel yourself welling up and the sweat comes and the hair starts to stick to your head whilst the hair is being cut and there is nowhere to hide. That is a nightmare.

I have posted many threads over the 2-3 years I have been on this board that may help. I am currently using the tablet probanthine, available on prescription, only using it when I expect a hot and sticky occasion. I take 1 or 2 about 45 minutes before the time i want to be dry and it generally works very well for me. You have to have an empty stomach or forget it. Its effects last about 3-4 hours and I am generally totally dry but you do get a dry mouth and some have dry eyes which I haven't experienced. strangely whilst my head and face is dry I do get compensatory sweating on the legs and sometimes arms which must be the same as those who have had surgery, but it only lasts a short time and isn't a problem. During these dry times I fell totally liberated and confident but i limit its use to ensure my body doesn't cease to react in the same way.

I also occasionally use the secure wipes from www.pharmacy.ca with some but llimited effect, others have been more successful than me.

Good luck and no, you're not alone. I also have a wife and 2 kids who totally ignore it as it is just 'me'. I do also think that i could have excelled more professionally as i have also avoided situations just because of this, but have still been moderately successful despite it.

Happy to help more if I can.

Bill

fnord

Thanks for the reply, Bill. And, yes, I had forgotten about getting a haircut! That used to be quite an ordeal for me, but not having as much hair these days I go for a close cropped style (which I do myself at home with hair clippers).

SiR_Power

Hey fnord,

I read your post and it was soo amazing how it described in detail exactly what I am going through. Just yesterday I was on the subway and bumped into an old co-worker of mine and started sweating profusely just because of the social anxiety and a little bit of clusterphobia. Once the sweat started forming, the thought of the sweat showing made it worse and it just poured out. My body feels hot all the time and the smallest change in temperature creates the sweating. This condition has got to be the worse thing in the world. It has limited me in soo many ways, especially in my career. I could have become more successful, but my fear of social interations, meetings and presentations have just ruined me. My hands are always clammy, so shaking hands with ppl are another issue on top of the facial sweating. I have tried many things and spoke with sweat doctors and the fact is, there is no cure for this yet. It has caused me minor depression which I alleviate with more drinking and smoking. I ruin my health by hating myself of this condition. I ask myself why I was born with it and struggle everyday. The only temporary solution I found was in the Secure Wipes which really do work for me. But the constant use of it can be costly and don't really know what the long-term effects are. I only hope that a cure can be found someday. It is a serious condition which needs more attention from the medial/research industry. It really demoralizes ppl and makes life hard. Keep strong my friend. Hold your head up knowing the fact that there are others like you in this world.

Peace,
Jay

fnord

Hey Jay - thanks for the words of encouragement. I know exactly how you feel - wondering "why me?" Sad as it is that others suffer from this, I'm glad I found this forum and have been able to read others relating experiences that I can so identify with.

Take care and the all the best!

shadowuk

Hi fnord, i just read your intro post, and it left me with goosebumps, it was like you were in my head telling my story, which is a comfort, as for so long i thought i was alone and the only one with this problem.i completely agree with the places wheres its acceptable to sweat, i too am comfortable in the gym or on a football pitch, its the only time i can really feel myslef. ive just ordered a bottle of the adoban, just its been so long that ive allowed myself to get in a situation where i cannot get away, that ive almost forgotton how much i can sweat and where it mainly occurs (usaully everywhere). its nice to have a furom to express these things, ive bottled it up for some time, so just wanted to say that reading stories like yours and everyone else's means a lot for me, and i can really relate. not long ago i thought i was going crazy, but now i have hope...

fnord

shadowuk said:
Hi fnord, i just read your intro post, and it left me with goosebumps, it was like you were in my head telling my story, which is a comfort, as for so long i thought i was alone and the only one with this problem.i completely agree with the places wheres its acceptable to sweat, i too am comfortable in the gym or on a football pitch, its the only time i can really feel myslef. ive just ordered a bottle of the adoban, just its been so long that ive allowed myself to get in a situation where i cannot get away, that ive almost forgotton how much i can sweat and where it mainly occurs (usaully everywhere). its nice to have a furom to express these things, ive bottled it up for some time, so just wanted to say that reading stories like yours and everyone else's means a lot for me, and i can really relate. not long ago i thought i was going crazy, but now i have hope...

Thanks, shadow. I too think it is great that there are places like this forum where we can "let it all out". (I don't really think I'd ever be able to talk openly like this about things in person to anyone.)

Take care.