My Coping experience

Akiva

Hi All,
I am very new in the forum and I just wanted to post about some positive experience I had dealing with social anxiety, I think it could help people.

I take part in a social anxiety support group, we were asked by the mentor to write a list of social interactions that cause us anxiety and to rank them according to the level of anxiety they cause.

One of the interactions I wrote was putting on music loudly in my office. I have a hard time doing this even though all my work mates do it pretty often, I guess I believe that the music I will play will effect the way they think about me and I am afraid that they will look at me negatively.

So the mentor said I should gradually try to expose myself.
It wasn't easy, but now, a week after the beginning of the exposure I feeling comfortable playing music in my office. I first started playing on a low volume and when no one was in the room, with the door slightly open, allowing some people to hear the music from my room, gradually (every few hours) I put in on loader.
Later I played the music with other work mates in my room, at first I felt very uncomfortable, I felt in urge to lower the volume or skip some song on my playlist, but as time past, I started just really not caring about it, and really- why should I? do I think negatively about my workmates because of the music they play? and even if I did- is it that terrible? I am enjoying myself more and work and I even feel that my workmates are feeling more comfortable with me.

Have a great calm and fun day!

Sacrament

Gradual exposure to our fears allows us to see things for what they are, as opposed to seeing them in all the distorted ways the mind portrays them through overthinking and suffering in anticipation. Good job! Reminds me of when I summed up the guts to sign up for my driving classes/lessons. I was mortified of all the awful scenarios I 'might' have to face, so my mind would convince me not to go. When I did go, not a single thing was that bad at all, and I aced the theoretical exam and am an increasingly better driver as driving classes progress.

It's amazing (in a sad way) to think of all the things we miss out whenever we let the mind have its way and win.

S_Spartan

Gradual exposure to our fears allows us to see things for what they are, as opposed to seeing them in all the distorted ways the mind portrays them through overthinking and suffering in anticipation.

The big question is why does the mind tend to do this when it is clearly counter-productive?

The human brain is vastly incredible in some ways but woefully inefficient in others.

Sacrament

The mind will do what you allow it to do. Sometimes you get bullied and are led to believe certain things, and if you convince yourself of those things, then they become the truth (your truth). This way, you can spend years getting bullied and being convinced that you're ugly, and no matter what other people say to try to convince you otherwise it won't matter, because you're convinced that you're ugly, because it's what your mind 'knows'.

The mind is a muscle. What it knows is what you feed it.