My Best Friend has Hyperidrosis

concernedfriend

Hi everyone, my name is Jeff, 22, Filipino. I'm new here. I just came across this site and i though i might be able to find some help here.

To start off, i don't have HH. and before recently, i wasn't even aware that excessive sweating actually had a medical term. the thing is, as you may have deducted from the title, that i have a very close friend who has HH, the kind that's all over the body, particularly his hands and feet. its a pretty touchy topic, even just between the two of us. he's very conscious and secretive about it, and he only told me about his condition a while back after i shared one of my biggest secrets to him (he considers his condition his own deepest darkest secret).

Even then, I've never though of HH as such a bad thing and i though he was just overreacting. sure, he always has to bring extra t-shirts and towels wherever he goes, and i could understand why that makes him cringe away from most physical contact (arm around the shoulder, pat on the back, high-five, ect.) and even girls. but what i couldn't understand was why he was so secretive about it, and why it so negatively affected his confidence. i mean, its not as if excessive sweating is unheard of, especially in my tropical country, but sometimes he'd open up and act as if his HH was a cosmic joke and he'd been condemned to a life without the possibility of happiness. or to that effect. as if he would never be accepted in society because of his condition, even though i, and the few other people who know about it, accept him completely.

one night, when he was staying over at my house, i was sort of undermining the horrors of HH and he snapped back at me angrily. surprised and taken aback, i kept my mouth shut for the rest of the night. since then, i'd been making an effort to understand more about HH, and about why he though of it as such a curse. i did quite some research online. i found info on HH and some forums. and i was like wow. i never thought of sweating as such a handicap, and i hated myself for insisting otherwise. that very same day, i told him about my research. he was surprised of course, but in a good way, as if somehow i convinced him that i really do care and at least try to understand what he goes through everyday.

since then, he's started opening up more to me about his problem, and even though i can't relate with him, i try to be supportive. i try to boost his confidence and lighten him up. i told him that there are plenty of people who would accept him the way i do, even girls (he's a pretty good-looking dude, and smart and nice with just the right amount of eccentricity, so i'd assume some girls wouldn't mind the HH). but what happened after this heartfelt pep-talk? not only did he disagree; he also cried while disagreeing. i shut up. it was worse than that time he snapped at me. since then, i've resigned to treat his HH like some grave, socially terminal condition. like AIDS, or a micropenis.

but i still wanna help him. maybe my approach is wrong, i dunno. i think most people reading this have HH, so i need to ask: is there anyone here who was able to better accept their HH because of a friend? how did he/she do it? or does anyone have any advice for me, based on my story? it would be much appreciated..

scruffpot

All i can suggest is understanding and being a supportive friend is the best thing you can do. Its good that you have taken the time to find out about HH. However you ahve to be careful your not showing over zealness and prying into someones life. etc.

With HH comes a lot of mental health problems anxiety and depression. I suggest to anyone (as I have HH - its better) but if you get help with the above it can (possibly) make your HH a lot better. But also helps you to be able to deal with it better mentally and with other people.
I also work in the mental health sector so I can happily say this as well.:)

However Im not saying all of us with HH are suffering with mental health problems.

Just be a good friend. you can empathize with him if he is struggling some days.. not sympathize..him talking through things will enable him to come to terms with his condition and realise his support structure around him as well.

I wish you and your friend the best

Jezza

Hmm...having HH myself I definitely understand that your friend reacted in a cranky manner when you tried to tell him 'it's not that big of a deal'.

Of course I can't speak for everyone but my experience with HH and from what I've read from many other HH sufferers is that many people, paricularly medics, don't always get how this condition really impacts one's daily life and that's obviously really frustrating. While you have to accept that from the general population (hell, I'm not oblivious to the possibility that if I didn't have HH myself, I probably wouldn't be able to 'get it' if someone else tried to explain how badly they're affected by their sweating), it's extremely annoying to have to deal with that from medics you turn to for help or the few people (family members, close friends) you tell what's up.

From medics, you expect to be taken seriously when you come to them with a physical problem. From friends and family, if you confide in them that something is really bothering you, you expect them not to act like you're overreacting (you know, since you have years of experience with them and they with you so you expect them to know that you're not saying anything unless something is really, really bothering you).

So as for advice...I guess treat your friend as though he doesn't have the HH, except still know somewhere in the back of your head that he does. Don't go out of your way to avoid handshakes or whatever, pretty much don't make it an issue...at least that's how I feel, I don't want my HH to be an issue more than it has to when I hang with friends cause sadly it's a chronic thing, not something that heals in a few weeks. So for instance if it's an issue all of a sudden and you have to congratulate someone they're inevitably going to monitor your sweatrate, check if there's moisture on the cards when playing cards, if sweatpatches are showing on clothes...etc...Nobody wants that.

Basically treat it like he has a huge ugly scar on his face that you know is costing him dearly in his social and professional life: don't comment on it, don't stare weirdly at it but also don't avoid looking at it in an obvious way (so, just shake hands if the situation calls for it, it's clean eccrine sweat anyway), don't crack jokes about it (the line between fun and tapping into years of frustration is just way too fine), basically be a regular friend, that's probably the best and also the best proof of acceptance...

Last edited: