Might I have anxiety?

Icicle

I've had(What I believe to be) hyperhidrosis for the past year. Though my symptoms were slightly different from most other stories I've read about. I sill doubted my self diagnosis and to this day I'm still searching for a way to cure myself. So far I've taken 3 online anxiety tests. 2 indicated that my anxiety was moderately high, and one said it was high. I don't know the validity of these online quizzes, which is why I'm putting this in here. An extra evidence counts right?

I've extracted a few things out of those quizzes that seem rather odd, because they've described me perfectly. Here they are..

-You always feel overwhelmed.
-You always fear confrontation from people in general.
-You do not enjoy public speaking, or other methods of calling attention to yourself.
-You have feelings of constant fear.
-Other people opinions of you matters greatly.
-You don't go out as much as you would like to.

Along with that I have some "normal" symptoms of anxiety.
-My tumb/forefinger area becomes numb and tingly for no apparent reason.
-My body temperature increases rapidly and I sweat excessively in most social situations(Reading aloud, talking to people I don't know)
-Burning Sensations throughout the body
-Disorientation/dizzyness/the feeling that I'm falling(While my eyes are closed)
-Rare disorientation while I'm alert.
-A heightened fear of what people think of you
-Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
-Fear of being in public
-Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
-Difficulty falling or staying asleep

Just today I went into wal-mart feeling fine, people walked by. I acted entirely normal. No sweating, feeling funny ect..
Then I turned an isle and seen a girl about my age. I had no intentions of approaching her, and tried to casually walk by as if I wasn't paying her any attention. Though as I walked my mind was purely concentrated on her, I didn't want to do nothing odd(I didn't even look for the rice I went their for) I just turned my head and tried to be as ignored as I possibly could. When I reached the next isle I was roasted, and soaked in sweat. 10 minutes pass, I feel alright. So I go look for my rice.
I go back to the isle, and bend over to pick it up. A woman next to me who wasn't wanting where she was going nudges me with her cart and apologies. I feel a tingling sensation in my quadricep area and I'm overheating again, and once more completely coated in sweat.

I could go on, but I'll just be repeting myself again. Basically, any time I see someone my age(Male or female) I get self concious and feel a tingling in certain places(Mainly my legs) and sweat excessively and uncontrollably for a couple minutes untill I calm down. As well as any other situation that calls attention to myself. I have experienced "bottle vision" but only once or twice.

As well, I will say that I've been invited numerous times to go to party's and the like but I feel that I wont fit in, and I end up not going. The only time I'll go somewhere strange and not feel entirely isolated and overwhelmed is when I'm with a certain friend. Or if it's a place where a bunch of good friends. I do enjoy meeting new people, though what I believe to be anxiety is holding me back. I can fight the internal symptoms(I can fight shyness, I can live with odd vision and embarrassment) but my sweating is really controlling what I do. Though I am what I would consider to be a "very" ugly person I do have a lot of friends and I feel I am very respected and well liked.

So I'm assuming I have anxiety? What would be the best solutions to cure my problem? I will go to the doctor if I need to but I really don't feel like telling my parents that I think I have anxiety. I'd much rather work it out on my own If I can.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Edit: I left out one of the main things I thought that would prove my condition. I'm a 15 year old male. I have a cell phone, a quite active social life with a good amount of friends. Though I rarely call anyone. My parenst seem to be the only ones I can call without fret. Even when people tell me to call them back in a minute or so because they've got to check something, I feel extreme dread. I'm afraid their parents or siblings will pick up, and then I wont know what to say. And make a complete ass out of myself. As well with just calling in general, I don't think I've ever done it. I'm just frightened shitless if someone else picks up. What the hell am I supposed to say? You know..
As well, I wont ask anyone to do anything. Afraid of them declining my offer which would in turn make me feel like they hate me. That or me making them do something they don't want to. Which would make me seem annoying.

ash_2001

Though I rarely call anyone. My parenst seem to be the only ones I can call without fret. Even when people tell me to call them back in a minute or so because they've got to check something, I feel extreme dread. I'm afraid their parents or siblings will pick up, and then I wont know what to say. And make a complete ass out of myself. As well with just calling in general, I don't think I've ever done it. I'm just frightened shitless if someone else picks up. What the hell am I supposed to say? You know..

"Hi, is (insert the name of person you wanna reach) there?"

If they say "no", then say:

"Thanks, I'll call back later."

or

"Can you let them know (insert your name) called?"

Writing these down on paper helps so you have those in front of you as you call. So that if you get too nervous and forget what you were meaning to say, you can just read it off the paper.

Don't wanna give you a diagnosis to brood over, I'll let your doc do that for you. I'm sure his/hers would be more accurate.

Icicle

zeroday said:
hi, i had a huge problem with talking to people on the phone too. it was solved by repeatedly exposing myself to my fear. i wrote about it here:

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postp112449.html&highlight=#112449

hyperhidrosis induced by anxiety may be helped with propranolol. although it hasnt helped me too much.

many people say taking doses of oxybutinin will dry them up completely. My first time taking it was a few days ago actually, and i noticed a much shorter duration of sweating at 5mg 1hr prior to event.

i've read about a lady needing 60 mg! in to summer to completely stop HH. consult your doctor.

you may want to speak to more than one, as some doctors arnt willing to prescribe you these drugs.

doctors here in canada seem pretty liberal with prescribing propranolol but i was refused oxybutinin by 2 doctors.

you may want to talk to a shrink about this, as im pretty sure you have social anxiety.

Alright, thanks for the help. :)

My current doctor hasn't really done anything for my anyways. I went back to him on four separate occasions and all he's given me was some strong antiperspirant. He says people sweat differently, and that's just about it. He doesn't understand how it effects people's lives.
Shrinks though? aren't they the doctors insane people go to? They must have other purposes if you're thinking about the same people I am..
How might I go see a shrink anyways? Would a doctor direct me to one or..?