Meds for social anxiety and facial blushing

dave7352

I was hoping you cold give me some advice. I have mentioned my blushing and social discomfort problem to my doctor twice now as a sort of ‘well as I’m here can you do anything about this’ sort of thing and twice he gave me 2 different types of beta-blockers.

I am going to see him again soon pacifically about this issue and was hoping to mentioned some drugs to him that he could prescribe me for a long period (6 months or more)

Has anyone any experience or advice with meds that will help both my social anxiety and facial blushing

Any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

MelissaQu

I have a problem with blushing also and what was recommended to me by my therapist was to use exposure therapy. She told me that blushing isn't the end of the world even if it seems like the worst thing possible for me. She said to go into situations that would make me uncomfortable, and then talk to myself and ask, "What am I feeling, why am I feeling this way, I'm in no danger, no one's going to hurt me etc" and eventually you'd feel less anxious, and then less prone to blushing. It's all with practice. It has worked for me on and off.

I used to take Lexapro but I felt that it worked for me as much as it could and the rest was up to me. I'm no longer taking medicine and I feel ok, and I've gone to therapy which has helped me push myself more.

I hope one day there's a pill for blushing because I'd be the first to sign up! Did you know that there's a term for the fear of blushing? It's called erythrophobia! I couldn't believe it when I found it, there's actually a name hehe

doogiebklyn

Hi Dave,

I don't think there is a pill for blushing:( I could use it, too. But I am taking the below meds for my SA and depression. They work well and I am more comfortable and confident which leads to less blushing. And I take Ativan on a need basis for specific situations that I know will make me feel uncomfortable or stressed. My blushing is gone 90%.

Effexor
Wellbutrin

Best,

Douglas