Medications that have worked for you.

SilentType

Banned
I just got back on my medication yesterday, and I can't help but ask myself why I stopped taking it 2 months ago. I have social anxiety, and my doctor has pinpointed every issue I have with medication that is going to help me beat my SA.

One medication I take is propanolol (20mg). It reduced the adrenaline produced in my heart and it removes that fight or flight feeling that seems to overtake me in ordinary social situations. Its doing wonders for me, and tomorrow I'm planning on going out with some of my old friend (whom I haven't seen in a month and a half). When people used to come to my house (relatives or family friends), I would go up in my room and shut the door to get away from having to deal with my anxiety. Now that I've been taking propanolol, it doesn't eve cross my mind to go upstairs when people come around my house. I feel so much less tense with this drug :)

The other medication I've been prescribed is Klonopin (1 mg). It works wonders when I have to spend extended periods of time in social atmospheres. Say goodbye to sweating, heart palpitations, and stuttering because this drug makes me tranquil around even the most intrusive people. I can talk to anyone with a lot more confidence than I used to have (I plan to work up to full confidence).

My last medication, for sleep, trazodone. I pop one of these babies a half hour before I get into bed and I'm out like a light within 10 minutes. I wake up a little groggy, but I always seem to have a good outlook to begin the day with, instead of the usual "oh god another day" feeling.

I'm so glad I went back to the doctor on Saturday. It was a big mistake to stop going. If you re living with SA and haven't seen a doctor about it yet, you better make an appointment as soon as possible. It might not work right away but you'll soon discover that you would much rather be living with the drugs than the anxiety. The goal is to use the medication until you're completely comfortable and confident in your own skin. Only once you love yourself, will others be able to truly love you.

Peace

Meds usually gave me a placebo effect that lasted a couple of weeks. I kept taking them for several months, but after the placebo effect they didn't help. I don't take meds anymore. ACT has helped me a lot more than meds or doctors.

okkamsrazor

Glad to hear of your healing SilentType! It gives me hope to know people are overcoming this disorder :) (ur right abt the self love btw!)
My SA came about on the tailend of depression which I lived with for something like 3 years before I went to the docs, who prescribed me Cipramil (20mg). I had to increase dosage into my 5th month and after 9 or so months came off it completely. During that time I kept a record in a journal of how the treatment was going and the reason for coming off was that I was getting intense pressure buildup in my head. My GP wasnt any help - he just told me to continue or come off! (Yeah thanks for that doc :? I could've told me that!) So I came off the Cipramil but decided to seek out another type of treatment which didnt involve the use of unnatural chemicals.
Well, I'd been studying stuff like taoist teachings and buddhism and came across a herbal supplement which treats depression based on an ancient tibetan system and is natural (extrememly important for me). I started takin 2 of these supplements a day and after something like 2 weeks I noticed subtle shifts in my thinking and how I suffered with depression. After 2 months I felt completely different. Lookin back in my journal, the shift was amazing for me. Im still not over my anxiety but im addressing that with another product in their line called Anxiety Support - again completely natural - its been 2 weeks. The plus side of these herbal supplements for me is that If I choose to take a chemical cure alongside then I can do and it wont mess with you. But, im gonna give this time and see how I respond to it. Right now its got rid of my depression so I cant fault it for that and this may be a good idea for people who are lookin for a more natural cure to their disorder.
:)

SilentType

Banned
I'd like to give those herbal supplements a try! Send me a pm or just post the supplement here because I'm dying to do some research on a natural medicine that worked so good for you.

Peace

rado31

i tried everything and it didnt work.

clonazepam kinda decreased annoying heat on face and body

OnTheEdge

I had a look at the site, the supplements sound OK but they say after a month or 2 when you are balanced, stop taking them. But surely you'll be back at square one again ?!!

Dave

okkamsrazor

OnTheEdge said:
I had a look at the site, the supplements sound OK but they say after a month or 2 when you are balanced, stop taking them. But surely you'll be back at square one again ?!!

Dave

Hey Dave :)
After 2 months if you feel balanced then thats great!
If however after a month you still feel you need to take the supplement then take them on "alternate days or as required".
I took the Happiness Support blend, for depression, for around 4 months before I decided to stop because I was afraid of having a relapse if I came off them. Now that depressions out of the picture Im addressing some Anxiety issues with another blend - and ill take these for as long as I have to mostly because its herbal and has no side-effect.
The tibetan approach is based more on healing & restoring energy fields not solely on chemical imbalances which is why I think it has done more for me than medicine prescribed by doctors.
Plus I thought, 'well ill give it a month and see how I feel - they're natural' so I wasnt worried abt causing myself more harm rather than good.
Ill tell you something, Im glad I did! :)
(hey, maybe I can become a salesman for tibetan herbs?) :roll:

shrnwarks

Hello all...I've had SA since i was 19, i wasn't diagnosed untill i was 29! Took Cipramil for a few months but they did nothing for me. Went on efexor about 6 years ago and after 4 years life was great...started a good job and even started dating :D Life was so brill and i felt so well i came off my meds (took many months!) 3 months later i left work and am now single :( went back to my GP about 3 months ago and am now back on my meds. Starting to feel much better now ...think i will be on medication for life but dont think its a bad thing...life is so much better for me on them :)

SilentType

Banned
I agree shrnwarks. I too have been on and off my meds and I've figured out that it takes time to accept the fact that you're better off taking meds than letting your social phobia go untreated. Many people don't take meds because they hate the idea of taking drugs to help fix their mind. They fear it will change their emotions, self awareness, etc. The fact is, meds (especially benzodiazepines) can change you, but aren't you taking them because you want change? Mnay people give up after they notice a change in themself and they may not like it at first, abandoning the drug altogether. Often is the case where someone is on and off meds several times before they realize that theyre better off with them than without them.

Peace