Medication

fizzie

Does anyone know of any good medication to help anxiety, shyness, panic attacks and social fear? Because I really need some and I have been to the doctors loads when I was depressed and they won't give me anything because I was under 18 and they just think it was all a phase. I am depressed a lot but it is because of my lack of confidence. I have tried non prescribed drugs such as Karms and Rescue Remedy but they won't work.

I have spoken to child psycharatrists and groups but talking doesn't make me better and I feel i need something effective.

Can anyone give me some advice?

okkamsrazor

Hello Fizzie :) Im not a big believer in medication and feel strongly about docs issuing psychotropics to teenagers as many times SA can be put down to growth phase or life choices of that person. This is where talk therapy comes into play and helps only if you have the willpower to help yourself. I dont know your situation, or wether you expereinced a major traumatic event which triggered the disorder, but choosing meds (knowing what I now know) is a last resort. Imo the mind has to learn in its own way to get better.

flake__

Hey fizzie! I know this probs isn't what you want to hear but i reiterate okk, i can tel you i didn't listen to the whole 'oh ur under 18 rubbish' and tried ADs this was NOT a good move!! It made my situation much worse. I think cos of hormones and all that pills can do all sorts of stuff to you.

I think Kalms and Rescue Remedy are more calming things i have tried them too :)

Also you say you think are depressed because of your lack of confidence. So pills probably aren't the answer some sort of mental therapy is best to boost your self-esteem :D . I think pills can be effective but only if you suddenly get overcome with depression and there is no reason for it.

SilentType

Banned
Hello Fizzie Smile Im not a big believer in medication and feel strongly about docs issuing psychotropics to teenagers as many times SA can be put down to growth phase or life choices of that person. This is where talk therapy comes into play and helps only if you have the willpower to help yourself. I dont know your situation, or wether you expereinced a major traumatic event which triggered the disorder, but choosing meds (knowing what I now know) is a last resort. Imo the mind has to learn in its own way to get better.

Not to disrespect your opinion, but meds are commonly needed just to begin the recovery process and, if used properly, get the individual feeling better to the point where they can get back into society. This kid is looking for medication so he is lookin for some serious help for some serious anxiety problems so he probably needs meds...

To answer the question, I started with a situation that sounds similar to yours when I was 16-17 and went to a psychiatrist. You will probably have to get some bloodwork done to make sure the anxiety isn't from something biological like a thyroid problem or something. I don't want to relate your problem to mine but what happened with my psychiatrist was, we started with some SSRI and SNRI drugs first to see if they'd help me. They didn't, and no effect whatsoever, so after trying a month or two each on about four different kinds, I found some relief via benzodiazepines. They can be addictive, but not if used properly. Whenever I have a "feared" event coming up, I just pop one and it calms me down within a half hour very noticeably. I was also prescribed a drug called propanalol (I think thats the spelling) at the same appointment. These are in a class of drugs called beta-blockers, and they slow your heart rate and reduce production of adrenaline. In my case, these two drugs combined have got me feeling better, I'm just in the phase of working my way back out into the world.

I'd also like to point out that it does seem fucked up taking pills to fix brain chemistry problems like anxiety. If your at all apprehensive about it, think of it this way. Diabetics produce low levels of glucose in their body so they have to inject it sometimes to fix it. I have high levels of adrenaline which lead to my panic disorder. I take drugs to reduce the adrenaline and chill me out to fix it. There is some stigma out there about taking drugs for anxiety disorders. I wanted to put it to bed.

Peace

fizzie

Ok well thanks I guess everyones different but I been like this for a long time and it's getting worse. I got an appointment with the doctor again see if they will try help me out because I dread going out my front door when I am on my own and college makes me feel very nervous like school did.

And Flake what sort of side effects did you get from the medication?

okkamsrazor

SilentType said:
Not to disrespect your opinion, but meds are commonly needed just to begin the recovery process and, if used properly, get the individual feeling better to the point where they can get back into society. This kid is looking for medication so he is lookin for some serious help for some serious anxiety problems so he probably needs meds...

I totally understand what your saying ST but I think its important to state there's so many negative factors to weigh up before taking chemical meds e.g. permanently altering you brain chemistry, suicide ideology, severe broken sleep patterns not to mention become addicted to SSRIs or MAOIs but then some people may see this a small price to pay which is unfortunate, and IMO representative of modern western "medicine" as a whole. I made the mistake of taking antidepresants / anxiety meds (i wasn't clued up on them) and after a week I was thinking about taking my own life after never having these thoughts, only to find out the company who makes them is being taken to court over similar cases!!!
My doctor just said its a gamble to find which meds suits you, and it is!
Bottom line is; if you can make the meds work for you, by that i mean you use them to the fullest advantage to live life, then thats great as im sure there has been many success stories of people getting cured ~ but keep in mind you may be for the long haul with them.

p.s. fizzie do your research on what the doctor prescribes you and question him/her if you think the meds dont apply to your condition.
All the best!