Manerix, about it?

music10

So I've probably talked about it in the past before about manerix. My pdoc keeps on bringing it up to me. I've been on several other antidepressants. Effexor, zoloft, celexa and most recently wellbutrin. Wellbutrin seemed to be the most effective for me but I had a seizure a few weeks ago. So they told me I had to come off it. I see my pdoc again in two weeks who suggested to me to try manerix but wanted to wait for the wellbutrin to get out of my system and to see the EEG report. Which was 3 weeks ago. I went to see a neurologist after the seizure as well and he put me on tegretol which has made me really tired. Hopefully I can get off that soon because I can't concentrate on anything.

Anyways I was wondering whether anyone knows if manerix can cause seizures? I did talk to my nurse and she talked to me about it a bit but I forgot to ask about whether it causes seizures. She said it was an MAOI and that people will usually resort to this as a last line treatment. I don't know why and it's made me a bit uncomfortable as to why she would say that. Anyone know of the possible side effects and why she would mention that?

Davevanza

Hi,

Anyways I was wondering whether anyone knows if manerix can cause seizures? I did talk to my nurse and she talked to me about it a bit but I forgot to ask about whether it causes seizures. She said it was an MAOI and that people will usually resort to this as a last line treatment. I don't know why and it's made me a bit uncomfortable as to why she would say that. Anyone know of the possible side effects and why she would mention that?

I was on it since 1995-mid 1998.

It comes under the brand name of Aurorix ( Moclobemide) here, in Australia.

Well, in early 1990's, the only antidepressants available here were those TCAs, Non-selective MAOIs ( only 2 available, Nardil and Parnate).

I was on low dose Imipramine 10mg twice daily, along with Xanax 0.5mg taken on as needed basis.

As my dad at that time was on Moclobemide, and we went to the same Psychiatrist, I was then put on Moclobemide.
Initially 300mg after breakfast and another 150mg at about 4pm.
Then my Psychiatrist upped my dose to its max level, 600mg daily.

Moclobemide, to me, is the antidepressant that has the least side effects to me. ( No constipation. Not sedating. Not stimulating.)
It only inhibits ( blocks) the oxidation of the 3 Neurotransmitters in our brain.
Making them more concentrated in the synaptic clefts.

And the advantage of it is that, it requires no dietary restriction ( food high in Tyramine), if used therapeutically under 600mg. ( Well, that's the max dose recommended anyway).

The other advantage is that, it is reversible.
So Moclobemide has a half-life of 2 hours in our bloodstream, and within 24 hours, the inhibition ( blocking) of mono amines returns to normal state within 24 hours.
So, Moclobemide is unlike the old non selective MAOIs like Parnate ( Tranylcypromine, very activating) and Nardil ( Phenelzine, often causes hepatotoxicity compared to Parnate).

The non selective MAOIs takes within 3days to 5 weeks for the inhibition of the mono amines to return to normal state.

I just happened to read a research paper, that, Moclobemide actually has an anticonvulsant effect. That suprised me !!!!!!!!

I've been on several other antidepressants. Effexor, zoloft, celexa and most recently wellbutrin.

I tried Effexor-XR ( Venlafaxine) 75mg, Zoloft ( Sertaline)50mg, Cipramil ( Citalopram, the brand name here is Cipramil instead of Celexa, but the ingredient is the same) 20mg. As for Bupropion, it is only listed as a smoking cessation treatment, not used as an antidepressant, here.

As far as i know, depression is partly caused by chemical imbalance in our brain ( Serotonin, Noradrenaline, Dopamine, also Phenylethylamine but rarely discussed).

Until now, there isn't any equipment used specifically to measure the amount of Serotonin, Noradrenaline, and Dopamine. But recently blood check could determine only the level of Phenylethylamine (which is actually found in chocolate).

Effexor only increases the amount of 2 neurotransmitters ( Serotonin only in a very low dose like 37.5mg, + Noradrenaline if the dose is higher, and + Dopamine-but only sightly- if the dose is 225mg). That's why it's called Serotonin and Noradrenaline Re-uptake Inhibitor, SNRI.

Zoloft and Celexa are SSRIs, only increasing selectively, Serotonin in our brain. That's why it's called Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor.

Wellbutrin, only increases the level of Noradrenaline and Dopamine in the brain. So it is sort of Noradrenaline and Dopamine Re-uptake Inhibitor.

I myself, never try Wellbutrin, as it's not used as an antidepressant, here.

But, As with Moclobemide, I like it, besides increasing those 3 Neurotransmitters, it has a mild side effect profiles.
I'd been on it for almost 3 years with good result.
And also, it doesn't require dietary restrictions ( food high in Tyramine).
And as in your case, I just read , that, it has an anticonvulsant effect.

That's why it's called RIMA ( Reversible Inhibitor of Mono amines)

I can only advice you, that the best person you should seek for advice is your own doctor, as he is the one who knows your condition better.

Kind regards,
Dave

Last edited:

music10

This research paper about it's anticonvulsant effects? Is it online? If so would you mind linking it to me. I'd be very interested in reading it.