Looking for reassurance

Mariah_

I've been having panic attacks for a long time and am familiar with most symptoms. However about a week ago while panicking, I experienced a new one (to me anyway). I began having a very bad feeling in my throat, it was tightening up, and it felt like my throat was closing. It lasted through out the entire episode. At one point I actually couldn't swallow and feared something was seriously wrong, but of course after taking a deep breath I tried again and was able to. Since then when ever I begin feeling anxious my throat starts tightening up again along with the usual symptoms. Anyways, I want to know if this is something anyone else has experienced. It's always frightening to wonder if you’re the only one who experiences these sorts of things. I also feel light headed and constantly anxious days, or even well over a week after having a panic attack, and want to know if others feel similarly.

Rachel_1

Hi Mariah

I've had exactly the same thing. It started about a week ago and has been constant ever since.
Feels like a lump in my throat, difficulty swallowing and feels like my airway is restricted. It even feels like my lungs are not big enough to take in enough air! I've been going light headed and have felt very tired and weak. It's very frightening.
I have also suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for years.

I went to my doctor and told him about my breathing trouble. He said I was hyperventilating. I told him that i didn't think I was hyperventilating but he says I'm probably doing it without even realising.
He thinks it's because I have hyperventilated so much over the years that my body has now got into a routine of breathing incorrectly. Apparently it only needs a subtle change in breathing pattern for the problems to begin.
It's called hyperventilation syndrome. I've looked up information about it on the net and it seems that my doctor is right!
It's a vicious cycle, anxiety causes hyperventilation which then causes more anxiety and so on...
The light headedness etc is caused because hyperventilation upsets the body's oxygen and carbon dioxide balance.

My doctor has referred me to see a physio-therapist. Apparently they are able to check your breathing pattern and establish if it is hyperventilation syndrome, if so they then go through breathing exercises with you which over time re-trains your brain to get into the correct breathing pattern again.
You should go to your doctor and get checked out just to rule anything else out but it sounds to me like like you possibly have hyperventilation syndrome.

Here's hoping we both feel better soon!

Best wishes
Rachel