Long-term Career Goals

lilmutegirl

Every month, my boss has a "check-in" meeting with each employee one-on-one. At my most recent check-in, she asked me about my long-term goals. I have always been pretty noncommittal about what I want to do. Since I am currently only working part-time, a full-time position with benefits is a fairly immediate goal. Since I am currently in school (done at the end of the year, if all goes well) for my master's degree, I guess my manager thinks I should consider options at a higher pay grade than I am currently at. She mentioned management (she's the third person to mention me going into management). One strength she views me as having is being very organized, which is funny to me, because the reason I am so organized/prepared is because my mind is chaotic, and I worry so much that I feel the need to be extremely ready for everything I can (and I never feel ready). There will be assistant manager and manager positions in the next few years, and my boss specifically mentioned those. This got me thinking: one reason I hadn't seriously considered management was because I was afraid of becoming so stressed that I'd get overwhelmed and throw in the towel. I am thinking of talking to the assistant manager about her thoughts on the position, and maybe trying to find/ask for opportunities to practice skills (like public speaking!) I will need if I get one of these jobs. I hope I am not reading too much into my manager's comments--it's not like she guaranteed me one of these jobs, and I know I need to become more assertive in order to be a good manager, but do you think it is a good sign that she mentioned management, or could this just be something she mentioned to gauge my potential career goals?

Miserum

because the reason I am so organized/prepared is because my mind is chaotic, and I worry so much that I feel the need to be extremely ready for everything I can (and I never feel ready).

I am typically the same way.

Everything you've mentioned sounds, in my opinion, like a good sign they want you in management.:perfect:

because the reason I am so organized/prepared is because my mind is chaotic, and I worry so much that I feel the need to be extremely ready for everything I can (and I never feel ready).

That's why i have always been a perfectionist, because I worry so much.
And perhaps why I was always so polite as a child, because deep-down I knew that I was angry, disrespectful, etc (& I worried that it might show).

lilmutegirl

I also remembered recently that my boss mentioned that her boss "thinks very highly" of me (she said it twice during our meeting). I took that as a good sign.