Johnny Carson was shy

Edwin

Everybody has heard that Johnny Carson was really shy. He said he "turned his shyness around". Here's my opinion as to what he meant by that.

Johnny knew that shyness is nothing but an extreme fear of embarrassment. This fear is of course stupid. But that stupidity wouldn't go away. He never really cured his shyness. What he learned to do was to laugh at himself for being so stupid as to get shy. Every time he would find himself being shy, he would laugh at himself. That laughter would alleviate his shyness temporarily. Then when the shyness would come back again, he'd just laugh at himself again.

I think that might work if you're able to master it.

Edwin

PhantomPod

I guess that technique could work for a temporary fix. I've certainly used that technique before, but then even if I'll be able to act outgoing and laugh at myself in that moment I will still be beating myself up about it in my head. Then when I'm home by myself that night I'll still be beating myself up about it. Like I could be in the shower thinking back on the situation and just start beating myself up about whatever stupid thing I did.

So yeah, I see that as being only a very minor and temporary sort of solution. But hey, it's at least worth a shot to give it a try.