job and hyperhidrosis -uniform

grissom

hi

i haven't posted in a while but i felt i should cos i'm incredibly nervous about starting my new job at odeon cinema. i've got the added pressure of learning how to use everything and being around ex friends who work there and being watched by someone while i learn what to do etc but i'm mainly worrying about the clothes i have to wear. i think they wear blue shirts but i'm dreading it. can they fire people for being too sweaty? it might turn people off going there and might be unhygienic when around food. should i tell my boss that i have this condition or not? have you done so in the past, if so what happened? is it a health issue? because i have dehydrated and passed out due to hh in the past and maybe they should need to know about this.

does anyone have any tips for me in this situation, i was thinking about wrapping thick bandages around my underarms (where sweatpatches will be more noticeable)and fastening them with a safety pin but will this drench the bandage and make it more likely to soak through the shirt? would it be better just to take a minifan, some deodorant and keep popping to the loo to check if you have sweat marks? Would a baggier top allow the sweat to evaporate quicker?

do you know if the odeon is air conditioned in the summer? i mean the foyer not just in the screen rooms. i've tried looking on the internet to see but no luck. i was thinking about going there early tomorrow to catch a glimpse at what all of the workers wear (might all be different).
what's worse is that i will be surrounded by people i know, some close friends who arent aware of my condition who are starting work there too. this will make me anxious. is there any medicine i can take to help me calm my nerves and help reduce sweating?
HOW DID YOU COPE WHEN WEARING SHIRTS AT A JOB? IF YOU ASKED FOR A BAGGIER SHIRT AND THE BOSS ASKED WHY, WHAT DID YOU SAY?

please help me with this as i'm staying up late at night unable to get to sleep because i am constantly worrying - should i call them up and tell them a lie and say i've found another job and wont be able to make the induction and training next week? thanks

maggie

hey grissom...i don't have hh, but hopefully i can help with a few of your questions :wink: ..first, congrats on getting a job. That's really cool, and not easy to accomplish, for many of us. I'm not sure on what undergarments or whatever to wear under your shirt..but i don't see why your boss should wonder at all about you ordering a baggier shirt..many people prefer their clothes to fit this way. Secondly, everybody gets nervous when they're learning a new job, so take comfort that it would be expected for you to be nervous :wink: I'm pretty sure they can't fire someone just because they are 'sweaty'. There is a lady at my work (a busy coffee shop, sandwiches, donuts..tons of food) Anyway, i'm pretty sure she has hh; she is a really nice person, and does an awesome job. She is now a supervisor, and will likely become a manager eventually. She's one of my favourite people to work with. I think it's more about the type of person you are, your reliablility, and your job performance than anything else. If you are a hard worker, it will show, and you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not sure about where you are, but here, all of the movie theatres are air-conditioned..almost too cold..throughout the building..so, likely it will be the same there. Good luck to you :!: ..just get that first day under your belt, and it will get easier from there :)

April27

grissom said:
hi

i haven't posted in a while but i felt i should cos i'm incredibly nervous about starting my new job at odeon cinema. i've got the added pressure of learning how to use everything and being around ex friends who work there and being watched by someone while i learn what to do etc but i'm mainly worrying about the clothes i have to wear. i think they wear blue shirts but i'm dreading it. can they fire people for being too sweaty? it might turn people off going there and might be unhygienic when around food. should i tell my boss that i have this condition or not? have you done so in the past, if so what happened? is it a health issue? because i have dehydrated and passed out due to hh in the past and maybe they should need to know about this.

does anyone have any tips for me in this situation, i was thinking about wrapping thick bandages around my underarms (where sweatpatches will be more noticeable)and fastening them with a safety pin but will this drench the bandage and make it more likely to soak through the shirt? would it be better just to take a minifan, some deodorant and keep popping to the loo to check if you have sweat marks? Would a baggier top allow the sweat to evaporate quicker?

do you know if the odeon is air conditioned in the summer? i mean the foyer not just in the screen rooms. i've tried looking on the internet to see but no luck. i was thinking about going there early tomorrow to catch a glimpse at what all of the workers wear (might all be different).
what's worse is that i will be surrounded by people i know, some close friends who arent aware of my condition who are starting work there too. this will make me anxious. is there any medicine i can take to help me calm my nerves and help reduce sweating?
HOW DID YOU COPE WHEN WEARING SHIRTS AT A JOB? IF YOU ASKED FOR A BAGGIER SHIRT AND THE BOSS ASKED WHY, WHAT DID YOU SAY?

please help me with this as i'm staying up late at night unable to get to sleep because i am constantly worrying - should i call them up and tell them a lie and say i've found another job and wont be able to make the induction and training next week? thanks

Don't let sweating hold you back from your job!!! I would order a baggy shirt and wear a plain colored (white or black) underneath it. This way the sweat will stain the undershirt the most so your uniform will only get a little sweaty (depending on how much you sweat and how baggy the shirt is)

Hotshots

grissom said:

I worked at legoland in california for the past 5 summers (not this summer lol). I had to wear a red polo shirt and I sweat profusely in my underarms. One summer I worked at rides and wore a jacket despite how hot it got everyday. On the other summers I worked on grounds so I was constantly walking around the park and got to pop into every bathroom that I went by :wink:

Back then, you could see the sweat pits on my red shirts but I still worked all summers long. They cant fire you for something like that. It would be discrimination and this is a major law. As long as you do what youre told and you are a hard worker, then there is no reason to fire you. If you are fired because you "sweat too much" then you have every right to take your employer to court and sue their asses off for descrimination

I was one of the top workers in my dept and was awarded a few awards even though I sweat a ton. You just gotta be brave and work as if no one noticed it (its hard i know). I know the feeling you had because those 5 summers, I worried every day, every night and all summer long about the sweating condition. Sorry about the long post but yeah your situation is exactly what I went through the past few years[/b]