I've never spoken to someone else with hyperhidrosis

brianna21

Hello all, this is my first thread. I'm not very used to forums but I wanted to give this a shot. I created my profile originally a year ago I think, but I haven't used it since.
I've never spoken to someone who really suffers from hyperhidrosis that I'm aware of. I've had a few friends who I'd notice rings of sweat under their armpits occasionally, but not to the extent that it prevented them from wearing light-colored clothing as my condition does for me.
I guess I'm on here seeking the friendship, or as close to friendship as an internet correspondence allows, of others who know what it feels like to suffer from hyperhidrosis.
I don't talk about my condition, even to my family or close friends, because I truly believe it's not something a person can understand unless they've had to deal with it.
Feel free to message me or respond to this thread. I'm very busy with college and work, but I want to take the time to reach out.

Hi. I can relate to your post. I'm probably older than you. I'm 28. Outside of my parents, I've talked openly with one person about my condition, one time. She was a close friend of mine. It was a fairly positive conversation. Yet, since then I really have only spoke openly about it a few times, and that was to my mom.

Is you HH only in your armpits? How bad is it? You mentioned it's bad enough for you not to wear light colored clothing. I'm sorry. I feel bad for you. My HH is a bit different from your HH. I had it bad on my hands and feet. I got surgery and now I have compensatory sweating pretty much everywhere except my face and hands. It's not usually too bad...but like I never wear sandals bc my feet sweat so bad...and I wear special underwear sometimes because my butt sweats so bad...sigh...

Oh well. I'd be happy to speak to you. I wish you luck in your journey with HH. Feel free to message me.

alwayswet

Please don't let this ruin your college days like I let it do to mine (and the majority of my adult life).

Obviously, the condition has already started to dictate how you look at life. The best way to look at it is, "You can run but you can't hide". Open up to all your friends about it and have a good sense of humor because I am sure some *** is going to say, "Ewwwwww". When you can laugh at it then it might just disappear.

My HH started in college, whether it was due to stress or whether it was social anxiety manifesting itself, I don't really know. All I know is the least of amount of physical activity caused my face to sweat and I would blush like crazy. I would turn in soggy exams. It definitely hurt my grades and social life. I turned to alcohol to cope.

If you are sure that the condition is hyperhydrosis and not social anxiety, and are physically fit, I would recommend ETS. If you are overweight (like me) then the chances for compensatory sweating will be much greater. I sweat like crazy below my chest (everywhere) and it's a drag, but I would still have done the surgery. At least now I can see how fat I am without wiping the sweat out of my eyes (of course my back is all wet - stupid leather).

Make sure you research ETS before you have it done. Compensatory sweating is like the least scary side effect. I had it done in 2002 and it was pretty new. Oh and insurance didn't cover the whole cost.