I've had this problem my whole life..

StealThis

I've had a problem with social situations my whole life.. I'm 23 years old and I pretty much never leave the house. I cannot even bring myself to go out and get a job because I'm terrified of having to communicate with people. I get terrible anxiety to the point that I feel like I might pass out.. my chest gets tight, I get dizzy, I can't speak, I don't understand what people say.. amongst other things. I have never seen anybody about any of this. I have become very good at avoiding having to be in any situation that will bring me any kind of discomfort. I avoid any confrontation at any cost. Basically, Its taken over my life and I'm sick of it. I would like to seek help but I don't even know where to start. I don't really have the money to go and see a doctor because I don't work.. Does anyone have any advice for me about what I could do or what kind of treatment I should look into?

--Thanks

relaxed_attention

First thing's first...go to your local library and type in anxiety/ fear/ depression/ shyness until you get to what fits you. Right now I'm reading Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe...all about social anxiety. It's really good so far. It talks about medications, dating, finding a job, ect. ect. ect.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

StealThis

relaxed_attention said:
First thing's first...go to your local library and type in anxiety/ fear/ depression/ shyness until you get to what fits you. Right now I'm reading Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe...all about social anxiety. It's really good so far. It talks about medications, dating, finding a job, ect. ect. ect.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Thats a really good idea.. I will check out the book you recommended. Do you know the author by any chance?

I have done some reading on the topic.. but only internet stuff.

relaxed_attention

Signe A. Dayhoff

I've read "Painfully Shy" before but so far the Diagonally Parked book is so much better...much more info. There's also 1-800 numbers to call...certain cities want your for research for SA and if you qualify you can get free meds. That's what they told me. Who knows if they'll give you the best meds on the market or something experimental. I'm not sure I want to be anybody's lab rat. But there are a lot of other contacts in the book too.

But anyway, hopefully your library carries it.

cicada

Hello StealThis,

I agree with the above post. You should get a hold of a good book on social anxiety. It will help you not feel so alone in the world and it will also give you hope that you can overcome your SA. I have had a lot of success with the book "Dying of Embarrassment". I have not read "Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe" but I have heard it is very good and now I want to get a copy since someone said it is better than "Dying of Embarrassment".

I am a woman in Austin, TX who has had lifelong social anxiety disorder. Right now I am trying to start a group for people with SA where they can come for support, friendship, and to practice social skills in a safe environment. I know San Antonio isn't terribly far from Austin so I wanted to let you know about it.

Also, I wanted to invite you to get to know other people here in Austin that have SA. I have been emailing four other people here in Austin. There are two females-one is a UT student, and two males-one just graduated from UT, and the other is currently a UT student. Please feel free to PM me. Welcome to this site.