Is the Cause of my Sweating Anexity?

R

Rikk

Hi, my name is Rikk and I am a 26 year old male that suffers from excessive sweating of the underarms. "Hi, Rikk".

My story isn't much different than anyone else's. I go through the usual string of super fun nonsense. I've been going through it since I was 16 or 17. You know the drill - changing shirts two and three times a day, sneaking around blow driers to dry out my shirt's underarms when I can, wearing sweatshirts over my t-shirts religiously, normal antiperspirant doing absolutely nothing for me, the embarrassment, etc. High School was brutal.

I've tried the super strong prescription antiperspirant, but it causes rashes and excruciating itching, and usually only serves to moderately reduce my sweating for a day or two. After that, it has no effect whatsoever. I've tried the off the shelf "prescription strength" stuff that's recently become available, too. Nothing. It's a total joke.

I even once bought an e-book for 40 bucks that suggested I buy a luffa sponge and scrub my underarms in the shower, and to avoid using soap. It had the usual length of quotes from happy customers saying it totally stopped their sweating. No change for me.

I've begun to think about when I sweat the most. It's usually in social situations, around other people. It'll sweat through my shirt a moderate amount by myself, like if I'm playing an intense video game or working hard on something, but it's always the worst when I'm around other people. Even just hanging out and relaxing with a friend, laughing and having a good time - I'll sweat buckets in my underarms and it ends up ruining my good time.

Here's the thing though - I don't feel anxious or even a little nervous in these situations, or if I do, I am totally unaware of it.

I'm in the entertainment business, I host a moderately successful internet show (thankfully I wear a thick black costume so the strains don't show) and I am the lead singer in more than one band. I have no problem being in front of large groups of people. In fact, I adore it. I love performing.

So what's my problem? Is it some weird subconscious thing? I will admit I don't enjoy being around most people simply because most of the people I know are through my music contacts and they all like to drink like fish and do drugs and I want no part of those things, but I'm not a total shut in. I'm not agoraphobic. I don't feel like my nerves are shot and I'm having a panic attack around other people.

I have noticed in the past my sweating was greatly reduced when I would go out with my (now ex) fiancee. It seems to depend on the person(s) and my relationship with them.

I suppose I should see a doctor and get a physical to see if it might be a thyroid problem or anything, and my mother does have diabetes type 2. But I have a bad history with doctors not listening to me whatsoever about medical issues and blowing off what I tell them, then throwing some half-baked prescription that doesn't help at me to make me go away so they can make their tee-off on the golf course.

Anyone else like me out there?