Is agression normal with depression?

Ana

I was told a couple of days ago that I've become rather agressive towards those around me. Not that I hit people and what not but I tend to yell, throw the odd pillow and hit things with my fist. I wasn't like this before, it's just started over the past few months.
So this leads to my question, is agression normal with depression? Or even OCD?
I'm afraid that my agression may increase, which may not be the best thing. When you see a therapist or who ever, do they teach you how to deal with anger/agression?

Ana

Thanks Roxy.
I was just wondering if it was common and, as you said, it sounds like it is. I'll take a look at the thread you started.
Thanks again.

Foxglove

Hi Ana. I am severely depressed, and sometimes I feel very aggressive. Especially around the time before I get my period, I have a short fuse. To me, depression and SP are all about feeling frustrated and helpless, because there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to get better. This leads to feelings of aggression and anger. I never take my aggression out on others, aside from being short with my husband and son sometimes. I mostly take my anger and aggression out on myself. Sometimes, though, I fantasize about beating the crap out of someone with a baseball bat, like when someone is needlessly rude to me. Or I imagine ramming another person's car with mine when they cut me off in traffic. So yeah, for me at least, having depression and SP makes me aggressive at least some of the time.

alanbluecat

Hi Ana,

Yes it can be 'normal' to feel that way when depressed. It can also be normal to feel any number of things. Depression is unique to every sufferer although there are also many common themes.

What helped me greatly in my battle with depression was to find out as much as possible. Get as many different viewpoints, look into all kinds of treatments and remedies both conventional and 'alternative' and have a go with some until you find something, anything that works for you.

Have a search around on the internet, gain information and gain power and control, ask questions, don't be afraid to try things out. By being on here you obviously want to change things - you might not think it right now but you have the power to start taking the small steps that in time will make a difference to your condition and your life.

Good luck!

Ana

Hi Ana. I am severely depressed, and sometimes I feel very aggressive. Especially around the time before I get my period, I have a short fuse. To me, depression and SP are all about feeling frustrated and helpless, because there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to get better. This leads to feelings of aggression and anger. I never take my aggression out on others, aside from being short with my husband and son sometimes. I mostly take my anger and aggression out on myself. Sometimes, though, I fantasize about beating the crap out of someone with a baseball bat, like when someone is needlessly rude to me. Or I imagine ramming another person's car with mine when they cut me off in traffic. So yeah, for me at least, having depression and SP makes me aggressive at least some of the time.

It sounds like your not agressive towards others but yourself. I wish I could focus ALL my anger on myself, just to save my relationship with my family. They really matter to me but honestly, I think they've had enough of me and my 'emotional issues'.

Hi Ana,

Yes it can be 'normal' to feel that way when depressed. It can also be normal to feel any number of things. Depression is unique to every sufferer although there are also many common themes.

What helped me greatly in my battle with depression was to find out as much as possible. Get as many different viewpoints, look into all kinds of treatments and remedies both conventional and 'alternative' and have a go with some until you find something, anything that works for you.

Have a search around on the internet, gain information and gain power and control, ask questions, don't be afraid to try things out. By being on here you obviously want to change things - you might not think it right now but you have the power to start taking the small steps that in time will make a difference to your condition and your life.

Good luck!

I'm glad it's some what 'normal' and that I'm not alone.
I don't really have depression that bad, I have situational depression because of my OCD, supposedly. I have horrible anxiety though which also causes some of my anger because I'm always running from what I fear but never getting any where fast.

Thank you both for the help!
Best wishes.