I'm not sure if I have social anxiety or just shy

Greenie

I've been shy my whole life. However I'm just recently coming to terms with that I have a really hard time talking to people. I've never really focused on it so much before, but now that I am looking for jobs and trying to network, it has become a huge problem for me. I am extremely afraid to talk to people, and I don't know why. I think I have a huge fear they are going to judge me or think I'm weird, so I would rather not say anything. It's almost a physical reaction though. I literally feel like I freeze up and cannot physically speak. My mind goes completely blank and I can't think of a single thing to say. Then I stand there like an idiot and no one knows who I am because I never talk. I can't stand it. I wish I wasn't like this. I'm not sure what I can do about it though.

jbeenthere

I would say - yes you have SA. phobias have a physical component to them as they are rooted in the reptilian brain. you can learn to use your higher brain to overcome some of the effects and move forward. it's a therapeutic technique called cognitive behavioral therapy. it helps, try it if you can access a good therapist.