I need a job

badlydrawngirl

I went to school for dental assisting and i'm starting to realize i picked the wrong career field. as a dental assistant you have to be really outgoing and friendly. i'm neither. i'm trying to hard to get a job. i have to go hand out my resumes to different offices and it's so hard for me, because i'm the most awkward person ever. i've had 2 job interviews and failed them miserably because i just can't talk to people i don't know. i can't keep eye contact, i move my hands around nervously. i know mentally i can do what is required for the job but i just can't sell myself, or even answer when they ask "tell me about yourself.."

UGHHHH. i want this to go away.

Iseesky

Awww... ::(:
I've never been able to answer 'tell me about yourself' either. There's just a lot more to me than I can describe in 2 minutes! And, I don't want to describe it, either!
Maybe you could set up mock interviews. Get a friend of family member to pretend to be the employer and have you approach them how you would in a job interview. They could probably give you tips on what to do/what not to do.

hoddesdon

If there opportunities for volunteering in your line of work, that can help. Since it is voluntary, the organisation in question is generally happy to give you a start. Actually doing the work can make your CV look better, and make you more desensitised.