HYPNOSIS (frm Kare's public message on 16/5)

brownbag

about the public message that just appeared just now (16/5/06 for those reading at a later date.) about hypnosis being used for people with phobias and being filmed for tv,

Have any of you ever tried it?

and as i have read quite abit on it, that it's been used as a cure for phobias and anxiety and have worked spectacularly, especially in previous era's such as Sigmund Freud's time.. the past etc,

How Come There Isn't Much Talk about it here or in the world in general :?: since it seems like such a wonderful thing to finally open up your mind and cure you of this..

I mean, there are so many discussions on coping techniques and medications to be used etc, but I never really hear about Hypnosis here or the uses of it or how it works etc.. or if anyone has ever tried it.

OR is it just that, communities in the world haven't really been open or accepting of this form of therapy or treatment :?:
Hope someone or some of u can give answers to my curiosities or just give interestin insights :idea: of your own

regards. :wink:

garnet

Hi Brownbag!
:D

Hypnotherapy is something I have always been aware of, but not something I would rate as a first choice, personally.

We have a talkshow in the UK called Trisha, and I recently saw an episode in which a hypnotherapist helped people overcome phobias of flying, dogs, and jealousy. Unfortunately, he did not attempt to help anyone with a social phobia, although I'm sure it would be difficult to get someone with SP onto a tv show, because of the very nature of the problem! I know i would need to be very desperate before I would contemplate doing something like that!

I also get the impression that because hypnotherapy isnt very well understood, that doctors in the western world don't rate it highly, except for things like helping people quit smoking. Doctors here don't seem to be very open-minded when it comes to things they cant explain scientifically or rationally.

At the moment I am trying to use a combination of cognitive behavioural therapy and self-help exercises to overcome my SP. Have you ever tried hypnotherapy? If you have, did you find it beneficial? :?:

garnet

Hi Brownbag!
:D

Hypnotherapy is something I have always been aware of, but not something I would rate as a first choice, personally.

We have a talkshow in the UK called Trisha, and I recently saw an episode in which a hypnotherapist helped people overcome phobias of flying, dogs, and jealousy. Unfortunately, he did not attempt to help anyone with a social phobia, although I'm sure it would be difficult to get someone with SP onto a tv show, because of the very nature of the problem! I know i would need to be very desperate before I would contemplate doing something like that!

I also get the impression that because hypnotherapy isnt very well understood, that doctors in the western world don't rate it highly, except for things like helping people quit smoking. Doctors here don't seem to be very open-minded when it comes to things they cant explain scientifically or rationally.

At the moment I am trying to use a combination of cognitive behavioural therapy and self-help exercises to overcome my SP. Have you ever tried hypnotherapy? If you have, did you find it beneficial? :?:

Septor

It would be interesting to hear if anyone here with social phobia have gotten any benefit from hypnosis.

Mary

I tried hypnosis years back, I did it twice with 2 different people, because the first time it didn't work so I tried again but the second time didn't work either. :roll: I just spent a ton of money for nothing! I went to the "Best" people in town, one of them had even been on the news and they had waiting lists because they were supposed to be so good...I also went to see a psychic once! I didn't believe she had any powers but I did it out of curiosity and for fun. She told me everything about me and it was all true, all I said was my name and my birthday. I didn't tell her anything she just knew it all..one thing she did say was that my boyfriend wasn't going to marry me, and I almost broke up w/him. Good thing I didn't as he is now my husband and the love of my life! Later a christian friend told me that the bible says it is wrong to consult these people and is akin to witchcraft! I didn't know it at the time or would not have gone. Now I find it interesting the psychic said my bf. and I wouldn't get married..maybe someone (not God-the other one) :twisted: didn't want us to get married? Christians and non-christians be very careful, you don't want to get involved w/occult type things..I don't know if hypnosis is or isn't but there are powers in this world that are both good and for evil as well. Just take that into consideration.

boro

I tried hypnosis a couple of times but it hasn't seemed to have any effect. To say i was disappointed with it would be an understatement, although my initial expectations were probably way out of tune with reality (my reckoning went something like "hey, ive seen how it works on tv, these celebrity hypnotists can can make people do crazy things through hypnosis so why can't a hypnotherapist cure my social phobia by waving a gold watch and saying 'when i count to three you will be confident and cease to have social anxiety issues'?") I realise now how far off track i was. I thought it might be a quick and easy solution and i went to the first session thinking I would be put in a state of deep hypnosis where i would be only just conscious enough to know what was happening and that my subconscious mind would be in control. I thought buried thoughts from the inner workings of my brain would be brought forward which may shed light on how the anxiety came to be or that the hypnotherapist would be speaking directly to my subconscious, providing it with confidence boosting messages. At the very least i predicted my thoughts might not be filtered as they usually are by my overanalyzing and self doubting conscious mind, which might at least be put to rest for a while. As it turned out, in the few sessions i went to none of this happened, apart from the confidence boosting messages which didn't seem to work because i just didn't seem to be in a very deep state of hypnosis at all. I told this to the hypnotherapist but they said it didn't matter too much how deep the state of hypnosis is. Strange that, because i thought hypnotherapy was all about tapping into the subconscious. But anyway, I felt hypnotised but it was far from what i was expecting - I was still very conscious and my mind was drifting off, so much that when i was hypnotised i was still conscious enough to think about what bus i was going to catch on the way home and i was still conscious enough to start questioning whether this hypnosis was working or not. For the record, i suspected it wasn't. Thinking about the state of hypnosis you're in while you're hypnotized is probably not a good sign. But maybe i'm just particularly difficult to hypnotize, maybe the state of hypnosis i was in was fine for hypnotherapy to work but all i know is that it has had no effect on me.

Anyway, that's enough from me. But i'd be interested to know if its worked on anyone else and if so what sort of techniques were used.

Septor

I personally think that hypnosis is really overrated.Of course I can't be hypnotize so that just my opinion but I would still like to hear from any one that had a positive experience with hypnosis.