hows your memory

siren_0_0

hey guys I'm new to the forum.
I wanted to ask you guys a question.

Does any of you feel that when you are getting better from OCD (you can answer even if u only got better for a very short while) your memory doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be? Not because you are getting dumber but because you are obsessing less? In my case, in order for me to move on and heal, there was a lot i needed to forget. like a lot of my rituals as well as behaviors I'm ashamed of which i couldn't helped at the time b/c I was "possessed" by my OC thoughts. I'm getting better and every year, I can clearly see a difference in myself and so can my family but the side effect is that..i don't really remember the details of particular things i did b/c of ocd (esp the behaviors that im not proud of) and that's actually good since it'll be too painful to remember. so even if i start recalling some of them, I try hard to block it out and now not remembering has become automatic. :(
I also find it really hard to acknowledge that I was the same person who did those things. I think to myself, wow I can't believe it was me who did this or that.
the negative side however, is since my brain is working so hard to erase the bad memories, that it's also started erasing some of the good ones as well as some of the important ones... :? :| *cries*

AvinaKo

My memory sucks, it pretty much always has. I couldn't even really tell you what I did this morning, other than the vague routine I go through pretty much every morning.

Though, I don't think my memory depends on the severity of my OCD or anything.

HexNoir

Reading can improve your memory.... not sure if memory relates to OCD in any way, but there's definitely things you can do.

Skaterkid

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

With ocd sometimes its easy to get caught up with your fears and act in outrageous ways and then after you realize it was all for nothing its just a memory thats purposely wiped away.

But i think embarissing things that ocd leads to are a good thing to face and remember because it realy puts things in perspective and thus making people realize its ridiculous and all in the mind.

Perhaps you guys shoud look into meditation or something, it really makes you realize that your the ultimate one behind your mind and that any disorders you may have are highly fixable.