How to cope with having no family

Earthcircle

I believe I am facing the same question. I don't even know how to form a relationship or acquire close friends. The only thing I can do is remain tenacious in pursuing career goals. There's nothing else for me.

planemo

That's a very difficult situation to be in. I'm in something similar, but I still live with my family, but they haven't made my life any easier in some ways. If I wasn't so avoidant I would probably have left long ago, but I can't.

I have no friends, and basically no relatives to help me through my tough times. The problem with the people at home is not so much how bad they are, but more the fact that in many ways they're as ill as I am, so seeking help from them would be fruitless, for the most part. But they're all I've got and though they may not be ideal company, I'll still take it to being completely alone.

But you say you're in a loving relationship, so that's at least a positive. But I know the empty feeling of not really having a family around you. I haven't seen or interacted with my relatives for years, and knowing I spend holidays basically on my own, leaves a bit of a hole in me too.

I wish I had a solution, but at least know you're not alone, and there are others who can relate to your pain.