How Physical And Mental Health Needs May Be Linked And May Impact On One Another?

coolbeans

Mmm... don't know if this is what you're looking for, but when I was very young, probably about 10ish I started having problems with anxiety. It wasn't diagnosed as anxiety at that point though, there really was no diagnosis. I kind of slipped through the cracks. What I do recall was being physically ill almost all the time. I had stomach aches, though I usually didn't vomit, and I had headaches quite a bit. I think this was mostly psychosomatic, I don't recall any diagnosis and I'm still alive. I remember sitting up half the night, many nights, in front of the toilet. The pain and issues with my guts have persisted.

Last night, I woke up about 2 a.m. with incredibly painful cramping. Nothing came of it, just severe cramps that maybe lasted 10 minutes and then were over. I need to get this looked after, but I feel like I shouldn't bother. I do remember seeing a doctor in my teens about my stomach problems and being told (after no workup) that I had irritable bowel syndrome. I wouldn't shock me to find out that is what I have, but I'm having difficulty bringing myself to talk to my doctor about it.

I was bad at maintaining a good relationship with my doctors when I was young. I refused to listen to advice, I was so shy and embarrassed about myself that I wouldn't keep appointments or follow up on diagnostics, I also didn't remain compliant with medications. So it doesn't surprise me that no doctors were able to help me then. I used to have a lot of trouble with any kind of appointment, especially where I had to wait to see someone.

I guess I would say, in my case, my anxiety has caused me to put off a potential diagnosis for pain and discomfort I have lived with for many years. I'm also a type 2 diabetic, and I mistreated myself for many years for the reasons above. I refused to take medication and I didn't eat properly and maintain my weight. I think it was mostly due to depression and my attitude at the time. I didn't care about myself and I didn't care if I died. I'm lucky I didn't suffer any lasting complications from the disease. I have had complications, but they have resolved.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for. If it wasn't, good gracious I am sorry for length.

Argentum

I pretty commonly hear of people struggling with depression having trouble taking care of some basic things like keeping their house clean or getting up to eat and shower. I definitely think there's a link between your mental health and the state of your home, and I'll generally feel slightly better after a sudden spurt of tidying up if I've let things degrade into a huge mess of dirty dishes and old pizza boxes. How we feel and how we act already influence each other.