How have anti-anxiety medications affected you?

blink12

I was wondering if anyone reading this has been on anti-anxiety medications, how did they affect you and your social anxiety? Like, what were some of the positive effects of taking the medications? Did you feel more comfortable around people? Did you talk more? Tell me what you think the meds have done to help you in social situations.
Im wondering this because I was thinking of going to a psychiatrist to see if they could perscribe anything, but don't know how the meds will affect me. It doesn't really matter though... at this stage Im just about ready to try anything to start feeling better in social situations. Just wanted to know how others have reacted to the meds.
Thanks.

edit: Also, if you've been to any type of therapy, if you could describe what affect it had on you and what types of things the therapist talked to you about and what was all involved, that would be great. Thanks again

IceLad

I've only tried 2 types of medication, both of which weren't especially helpful:

Propranolol- relaxed me a little in mild situations, but also made me want to pee quite often!
Prozac- made me feel mildly happy at times, but lots of sweating, felt as if I had something stuck in my throat, and my hands wanted to tremble all the time. The throat and hand bits eventually wore off after a few weeks.

In terms of therapy:
I had 10 sessions of hynotherapy. I felt so really peaceful and relaxed making my way home after the 2nd session, but the other sessions were a waste of money.
I also had 2 years of counselling. It made me aware of a lot of my thought patterns and 'errors' in my thinking, and it was a relief to talk about all my problems and experiences on a weekly basis. However, it ended costing me a lot, and on a scale of 1- 10 (10 being completely cured), I would say that I went from a 0 to a 2.

Remember that although these don't really work for me, it doesn't mean that they won't work for you.

Good luck!

8)

Morgs

i was prescribed prozac 20mgs a day didn,t effect me at all

but i really want to go on an MAOI's

"The MAOI "Nardil" is definitely the MOST powerful and effective antidepressant for Social Phobia."

Quote from http://www.socialfear.com/

Morgs

i was prescribed prozac 20mgs a day didn,t effect me at all

but i really want to go on an MAOI's

"The MAOI "Nardil" is definitely the MOST powerful and effective antidepressant for Social Phobia."

Quote from http://www.socialfear.com/

jenlynn

treatments

I was on Paxil for about 2 years. It did help my SA. I just didn't worry about things as much. Basically it killed my ability to feel anything. I wasn't as upset when bad things happened and I wasn't happy when good things happened. so I guess it worked, but at a price.

I also went to therapy. That didn't work so well. My therapist said we weren't getting anywhere because I wasn't talking to her enough. I guess she didn't understand that you can't ask someone with social anxiety to really open up and talk to you the way you can ask other people . But if you find the right therapist and are willing to open up at least a little it can be helpful.

carebear

JENYLYN,
I HAD THe same problem with paxil...
I went to a therapist (wasted a whole lot of money) because I couldn't easily express what I was feeling. I felt as though I didn't feel anything just like you said.
i am on effexor now...and as far as i am concerned i am now asexual. I have no sexual appetite at all...i think my new sex is eating. I get realy happy around food (hence the avatar).
i'm not huge but i do have a slight weight issue. 8) 8O