How do I overcome my somewhat shyness?

Hi everyone,
I'm typically a shy girl and I recently got a job. I feel like I have made some progress on making conversation with some of my co-workers but they've started the conversation and other co-workers say that I don't talk very much. I want to make friends with more of my co-workers but it's hard.
I need some advice on what to talk about with my co-workers and how to make conversation with them. It really bothers me when people say I don't talk much but idk what to say. Please give advice! Thanks.m

Last edited:

fate12321

Hi, try asking them job related questions. Ask them how they got the job, or what made them apply, how long have they been working or other jobs they had. I'm also quiet and I'm looking for a job as well. I really don't want any retail job, since it's mostly social interaction with co-workers and customers, but unfortunately it's the only option I currently have. Anyways, just ask simple questions like I mentioned up above, and try to answer your own question before asking them :
Ex:
"I chose this job because... such and such, what made you chose this job?" .
Try to get to know their interest, like music, movies, books and stuff like that. You might have something in common and you could talk about those things.

Hope I helped.

I work in a grocery store so I deal with a lot of people and when we are not busy all the workers just talk and I feel like I'm left out because I'm a newbie and all the co-workers have this special bond with each other since they've worked with each other longer.
I feel like it would be weird and random to ask them their favorite movie and all that kind of stuff but I think that comes with the shyness part and fear of being embarrassed and made fun of.

fate12321

Well you could just give it some time. Just try to say "Hi". talk about shift hours or something related to the job, then you can gradually start talking about other stuff. Try to be confident in yourself. I know it's hard to break the ice when it comes to having a conversation with someone, but at least make an effort.
Hoped that helped :)

Thank you I appreciate your help and advice! I do feel like I've made progress because I usually say Hi and ask how their day is going. I try to break the ice but sometimes I get nervous and not say anything. Some of my co-workers just don't understand I'm not talkative like them so it puts more pressure on me to be more talkative and it's stresses me out even more.