Hidrex PS1000 shocked me... Nervous about a potentially dangerous shock.

BBoyLayZ

I've been using this machine for a couple weeks and am familiar with how it's supposed to function. However two days ago I was treating my feet after successfully treating my hands. Hands I did at 60% PWM and 40V. It went all the way up to 40 and the mA readout showed 05. Everything was fine.

I moved to my feet which I was doing at 90% and 60V. I forgot what the mA said but I think it was around 10. I stood up to grab something with my feet still in the pan and sat back down at a normal speed. As my butt hit the couch, I felt a huge jolt in my legs and the Hidrex showed "STOP". There was still this very small current pulsing on and off in the water afterwards.

I removed my feet, reset the Hidrex, and started again. Then without thinking about it, I had an itch near the surface so reached down to scratch. My finger hit the water and it caused the same thing to happen, except through my legs, arm, and everything in between including midsection and chest (and probably my heart!). This made sense to me as I was causing somewhat of an odd circuitry and probably decreasing resistance by giving the electricity more body to flow through by adding a path through my arms. So I thought I understood why it happen and maybe when I sat down too quickly I splashed some water or something causing a short.

Now today... I started my feet again, 90% at 60V. And for the first minute everything seemed ok. I wasn't moving an inch then all of a sudden that huge jolt and muscle contraction happened again. Device stopped again and displayed "STOP". This shock was completely unexplainable. There was no chance that the circuit changed in any way with me sitting still. I noticed afterwards that my legs were moist with a bit of sweat so thought maybe my skin just got too conductive, but then thought there's no way my skin would be able to jump from allowing the 10-20mA it was displaying to 35+ or enough to cause his jolt and the device to turn on its safety shutoff.

Needless to say I'm in fear that whatever is causing these power surges whether it be me or what will allow the device to reach over 50mA (even if just for a millisecond before the auto shut off kicks in) which if I'm correct is the lower threshold of being fatal. I'm actually quite terrified. Is that shock of concern? Is this defective or is my random bouts of sweat causing strange changes in the flow? Or does the safety cutoff cause this big jolt when it turns off? With that last note I'd guess when it steadily but eventually reaches 35mA (because of transient changes in my resistance) it will do its auto shut off. It's the auto shut off that is causing the jolt, but the flow never reached over 35mA even DURING that painful jolt?

Any thoughts appreciated as I'm kind of freaking out a bit! Cheers all!

Last edited:

BBoyLayZ

So again I think the big questions are:
Is the auto shut off causing the big jolt feeling? Or is the auto shut off a result of some strange anomaly where current spikes to dangerous levels that causes these contractions?

What is the arrow of causality? Does a high flow cause the jolt which causes the shut off? Or does the shut off cause the jolting feeling, but the mA only ever slowly climbed to 35 without me noticing?