Hi,

Gui

(This is a rather long story, but please take the time to read it.)

Hi everyone, I'm 15 years old and live in Canada. I've been feeling depressed since the start of Grade 10, because in every past school year, I've been in a class with all my friends, but this year, I only had one of my friends in my class. This is where everything started.

This guy in my class, for absolutely no reason, starts throwing eraser bits at me. At first I was like, "Haha, that's funny" and I would just throw them back at him. But then, I'd see he wasn't laughing and he'd only laugh where he'd hit me hard with a large chunk of eraser. I then said, "Okay, it was funny, but this isn't funny anymore, stop it." He'd reply saying "What? I don't understand", throwing more and more until I was fed up and just decided ignoring him.

Now, the day after, we were at the library reading for our English class, and as I was watching a guy do a magic trick in front of the class, he, for
absolutely NO reason, middle fingers me. I was like, "What the ---- is your problem?", and to that he replied nothing.

That's pretty much it. He had stop afterwards, he would even laugh when I made a joke, but he started recently throwing erasers at me, big chunks just to make his friends laugh. I, honestly, find this pathetic, and a desperate search for attention, the kind of "Dumb is cool" people. I've been thinking about kicking him in the face, but then I'd get in trouble more than anything since I go to a private school. I've been asking him to stop at least 10 times and he'd just laugh like a dumb moron.

Would you consider his actions bullying? I'm not sure, I've read other stories and I feel like other stories are much worse than me, but I feel extremely down, and I feel like I have no way to get out of it;

- If I ignore him, he throws more erasers until I pay attention to him. Besides, I don't want to be the kind of guy who suffers in silence.

- If I pay attention to him, he knows it annoys me and throws me more.

- If I don't tell a teacher/parent, he will most likely continue.

- If I tell a teacher/parent, my "reputation" will most likely go down and the situation will probably intensify out of the classes, as someone reported last year someone harassing them and he got picked on even worse.

- If I throw the erasers back at him, he will just pick them up and throw them back at me.

Any ideas what I should do? Thanks in advance. ;)

scissorhands

First of all, this guy must be spending a fortune on erasers..

Second, I understand what this is like. It happened to me in school, and I tried to ignore it, since I also didn't want my reputation to get damaged ( more then the assholes pestered me already had done) by telling a parent or teacher. It would just give them something else to tease me about, and woul fuel the fire I thought. Because I did nothing it only got worse an worse as school went on.

My biggest regret now is that I never went to anyone for help or retaliated in anyway hoping for it to go away (since everyone always told me ignore them and they will stop. This is very far fom the truth. They will only see you as an easy target and develop new methods that are impossible to ignore. How can you ignore things hitting you on the back of the head for an hour, it would likely tear you apart inside). You may see it as something minor now and not worth fighting back but they are testing you, if they get away with it once they will do it again and again and keep escalating their tactics.

You seriously have to stand up for yourself from the very get go in a big way. Embarrass the piss out of them. Point out how lame it is what they are doing, tell them to fuck off and get a life, ask loudly if they seriously don't have anything better to do. Or a good one would be to ask in a serious tone wth people listening if he has a crush on you. point out that he is doing what grade school boys do when they have a crush on a girl. Tell him loudly "sorry I am not interested in your type" or "sorry I like girls, Im not interested" or "you're barking up the wrong tree, i am not into guys (or 'your type')". Anyone I hope you get the idea. You have to stop it immediately. I know from experience. It will only get more difficult to stop the longer you wait.

They can tease you more for telling, but you just keep telling and making records of their actions. At the very least it will make it more difficult for them when they realize their actions are going to be reported. It may daage your reputation but when school is all done and you move on with your life and never have to see them again you will be glad you did something about it, anything about it.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Please post how this progresses here.

Gui

Haha, thanks for the reply. As for the "I'm into girls, sorry." tactic, I think it could work because he has a very high voice which makes me think he's gay. He looks like one, too, not that I am homophobic or anything but in this case I think it could be a way to make him stop.

scissorhands

Awesome. I think it might work too. especially if people are there to hear. He might think twice next time if he knows there will be consequences.
Let me know how it works out for you. lol