HH newbie, found new (?) product

JayL

Hi all.. I've had hyperhidrosis for years (mostly facial) but never knew there was a name for it. I'm on various SSRIs, which probably don't help much, but I've had it long before I started those; I remember doing landscaping as a teenager and being completely drenched. Now I'm the guy with the dorky headband at the gym, and I'm still ordering iced drinks at Starbucks in late November.

I've gained a bunch of weight - about 60 pounds in the past three years (I'm now 220 lbs, 5'9"). The doctors claim I'm eating too much and exercising too little, but that's ridiculous - why, just last year I went to the gym. So it's gotten worse, and spread to the armpits as well.

I do have a prescription for Drysol (I'm in the U.S.), but it stings like crazy - especially since the last prescription was for the liquid and not the applicator, and I have some cuts on my fingertips. Owie.

Last week I was reading the Washington Post online, and I happened to glance over at the ads - usually they're for things like "mesotheliwhatsis lawyers!" and "fight cancer with calcium!" and other back-of-the-magazine things This time it was for Gillette Clinical Strength antiperspirant.

I figured it was probably a stupid marketing trick, but I picked some up anyway, and so far I'm pretty impressed. It doesn't sting at ALL, and it seems to be working better than Drysol. They call it an "advanced solid" (what, is it sentient?) but it's really a lotion/gel. I like that it's OTC.

The active ingredient is listed as "aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex Gly 20%". I didn't find that (or Gillette) in a search of these forums. According to howstuffworks and wikipedia, that's actually a common ingredient, so I'm not really sure what makes this "clinical strength". The Gillette web site doesn't particularly explain either. (Also, wikipedia says that this ingredient will cause those yellow stains - but the Gillette site blames those on aluminum chloride. Go figure.)

Anyway, thought I'd share, since this seems to be a new product, or at least a newly marketed one. I had no trouble finding it on the shelves in Boston. Obviously it's not going to help me with the facial sweating; after reading the forum, I ordered some Secure Wipes and we'll see how those do.