helpful resources in brisbane

drowning

hi,
does anyone know some places in brisbane that can help deal with social phobias/ anxiety problems? i've had SP for over 10 years and its been hard to live with. so want to try and get some help with it. Its not easy for a guy to seek help. feels like there is stigma attached to it. its hard to make this post, even if it is anonymous.

i'm not sure where to turn... my GP recommended a psychologist but its probably out of the question due to cost and i dont have a health care card.

thanks.

Tala

Hi drowning,

I live in Brisbane and have seen a psychologist through the doctors, the program is through Open Minds, you get six sessions with the psychologist and it was only $10 an hour. Also check out the relaxtion centre in the valley.

leneylea

Hi Drowning

I dont know if this would be of much help because I havn't yet built up the nerve to attend but there is a Social Anxiety group called SANS that meets every 1st and 3rd Monday of every month 7pm-9pm. It costs $3 per visit and the address is-Crn of Anne and Church St, Valley 'Senior Citizens Respite'.

Do they get a reasonable turnout to those meet-ups? I wouldn't mind going next time I'm in Brisbane but I'd be worried that only 2-3 people would turn up.

leneylea

Good question, ive never been. I promise myself i will go someday. In my mind i kinda picture a lot of people attending which is scary but now that you've mentioned the fact that only a couple might go im thinking-SCARY. We cant win! :lol:

daspaneon

leneylea said:
Hi Drowning

I dont know if this would be of much help because I havn't yet built up the nerve to attend but there is a Social Anxiety group called SANS that meets every 1st and 3rd Monday of every month 7pm-9pm. It costs $3 per visit and the address is-Crn of Anne and Church St, Valley 'Senior Citizens Respite'.

Hmm... so has anyone been? From the website I found (which hasn't been
updated since 2003) it said that it was run by Sue Cleland - so I'd be very
surprised if it's still running in the same format :? (given that Sue
makes her living running SA recovery workshops here in Brisbane. )

(Damn - I wish I'd noticed this earlier - but I spend most of my time over
at SAH, so...)

(-paneon)
"highly recommends Sue Cleland's workshops - especially if you can
persuade the Federal government to pay for it like I did..."
:D

tommydog

theres a small group in southport, gold coast that runs every tuesday. i cant remember what thier called, but they are accredited with whatever relevant organisation, you should be able to find out.

the people there are incredible ! some of them are really spiritual, just amazing how friendly, warm, and open they are. the group leader is excellent aswell. i only went twice while i lived up there, but she gave me the opal thingy that supposed to bring wealth. i dont thing it does much, but its nice to have ! lol