Help!

ReedV

Hi,
I've been experiencing panic attacks for about 3 years. The first time I had it was at a 5-day long camp in 2005. I would start crying suddenly and didn't sleep at all.

The second time was when i went with my aunt to Colorado/Las Vegas/Grand Canyon. My trip was fun except I couldn't really appreciate it too much becuase I would constantly panic.

The third time was at another 5-day camp. I got sent home on the 2nd day due to me panicing so badly.

The most recent one is when I attended a Catholic high school and by about 10:00 AM the first day I started getting major stomach pains. When my dad came to pick me up, i broke out into major tears. The rest of the weekend was horrible. I couldn't eat and I had almost no energy. My mom would constantly yell at me about how I could control it and stuff like that.

Eventually it got so bad I got transfered to another school where I knew a few people. I've started attending a psycologist and my next appointment had to be moved up because earlier today i got sent home from school from getting naseau, headache, shaking, and what not.

I really wish that my attacks would stop. I've tried everything I can think of without medication (yoga, relaxation breathing,etc.).I was wondering if there were anything you guys do to help with your attacks.

Also, during the high school dilema, i was scared to go into the car because I felt like I was going to get into a car crash constantly.

Mariah_

I definitely see a pattern with your attacks. It sounds like anytime you're in an unfamiliar situation in which you feel like you can't escape you begin to panic. I think the fact that you have some sort of trigger is a good thing. I often have panic attacks at completely random times for no apparent reason, which makes it harder to battle. I'm very glad to hear that you've got a therapist; you should definitely bring up this possible trigger so he/she can help you over come it. I can totally relate to you by the way. I went on a trip to Florida this summer and had a great time, but still had some major anxiety. At one point it was so bad I had to take half a sleeping pill to calm myself down. Don't give up, I think you will do much better now that you have a therapist. I know what you're going through, and I know it's the worst feeling in the world to have a panic attack. But things will get better, anxiety does not last forever, and there are many successful ways to treat it. If things don’t improve for you enough then maybe you should consider being a bit more open minded about medication.

ReedV

My therapist said she isn't going to prescribe medication until she thinks i need it after a few sessions.

Also, she already kinda knows the trigger. She had me explain my major attacks to her my first session.