Help

Andy19

My name is Andy, I'm 19 and I am an undergraduate student studying Graphic & Communication Design at the Univeristy of Leeds, England.

For a design task, I have been given a list of phobias that I need to choose from and visually show how that phobia is experienced by a sufferer.

I have chosen to research Agoraphobia. It is in this respect why I am writing this to you all, in order to better develop my understanding of agoraphobia. It would be great help if you could briefly describe what you feel with this phobia; what you specifically fear, what makes it worse etc.

Thank you very much,

Andy

Caseums21

It is very hard to explain agoraphobia or any kind of phobia to someone doesn't have it but I will do my best. Many people are different so you'll get different answers. Agoraphobia can be caused by numerous reasons.

I'm a 23 year old female who slowly started to get this phobia about 2 years ago. When I go out in town, about 20 minutes from my house, I start to get panic attacks. I don't fear that people look at me weird, but for me, its health reasons. I had stomach problems for years and I would get sick in town so that gave me the phobia. Getting sick anywhere is so embarrassing. Now, I stay home unless I have to go out. The weird thing is, when I go out more than 2 hours away, I'm fine. I feel so relaxed. So I pretty much fear getting sick in public.

I can't go to restaurants at all. That makes me so much worse. I haven't been out to eat in about 5 months. I always get sick after I eat when I'm out of my house. I don't know why but I tense up. I don't mind not eating out but when I hang out with friends, it's tough to try to explain to them why I won't eat. But it's rare that I hang out with anyone.

Also, winter time is always the worse for me. I never do anything in the winter. I still can't figure out why it's winter because I love snow. But soon as winter comes, I feel horrible.

When I get panic attacks (like all panic attacks) it feels like your going to die. Your heart beats so fast, my legs and arms become numb, and I have to sit. No one wants to feel that way in public.

Agoraphobia is hard on everyone that has it. You just want to feel "normal" and just go out and have fun without worrying about anything. But your mind just doesn't shut off and you see everything negative and you think people are looking at you or something like that. It's definitely mental but sometimes its harder for people to get rid of something that's mental then physical. I shattered my leg in 2005 and I would rather have that pain back then to have this.

You just feel so lonely. Friends stop calling to hang out and all you have is the internet, TV, newspaper, etc to know what is going on outside of your house. Some friends think you don't want to hang out with them and you're always make excuses. We do want to go out but we just can't. Some family don't understand and they don't see how you could have something like this. My dad and brother understand but I have family that just says I'm lying.

I'm not sure what else to say. I hope this somewhat helps you, Andy.

Andy19

Thanks so much Caseums, thats been of great help.

I know I cant begin to understand the situation you're in or how to live with agoraphobia, but I really appreciate what you wrote. I felt a tad wierd writing the post on the forum because I didn't want to rub people up the wrong way by being seen as inconsiderate etc so I wasnt expecting someone to go in as much detail as you just did - which is why I'm extremely grateful.

I never knew how much variation there was with agoraphobia. I've done a lot of research but it only tells me so much, whereas a person's own P.O.V is much more in depth.

I cant thank you enough. x

P.S. Concerning how winter makes you feel, a friend of mine told me a few days ago that her mum has just been diagnosed with 'December Blues' - she described it to me and it sounds very much like what you described. Don't know whether that helps in any respect but thought I'd let you know.

Caseums21

Your very welcome.

I forgot to mention that if you go on youtube.com and type agoraphobia, there are people on there that talk about it.

Andy19

youtube? There really is everything on that site. Thanks again Caseums, you've been great help.

All the best,

Andy x