Help with nail biting

rachxtreme

I've been biting my nails for years, and I have done several attempts at stopping. And I am able to get into hte mindset to do it. The only problem is, that after years of biting, the pink part of my nail is really far back. And when growing them out, it looks really strange. Is there any way for the pink part to grow out?

GettingThere

I don't know about the pink part growing back bit but as far as biting your nails is concerned, I know that there is something which you can get to put on the nails to stop you from biting them. I think that it is a bad tasting - but obviously not toxic - thing.

Another thing that you can do is to foster a different habit like twirling with a lock of your hair whenever you feel like biting your nails.

cody2468

If you want to grow your nails you can try to put some fake nails over the top until you get past that stage and they get abit longer. If you don't like the look of the white bit on the top use nail polish to hide it.

I used to bite my nails all the time but now only do it when I am nervouss. My mum used to paint our nails with some clear liquid polish that is designed to stop you biting nails as it tastes disgusting, the sad part was that I got used to the taste after awhile.

rachxtreme

Yea, i've tried that stuff. Fake nails makes it a lot worse, because it like rips up your nail surface once they come off. I have the nasty stuff, but it gets all over every thing I touch. I'm actually doing pretty well not biting them by just using a nail strengthener and filing the edges whenever I feel the need to bite them. The filing keeps them smooth and really helps when i feel like i just have to bite.

Fredscars

meh, i had that stuff for a while to stop me sucking my thumb, all it did was deprive me and my family of several weeks worth of sleep as once on it didnt come off and everytime i sucked my thumb at night id hurry to the bathroom to wash my mouth out with water. disturbing the family as i walked.
i still havent got past sucking my thumb, lol.

ive heard fake nails ^^ are good. try that.

tupac

i have a bad habbit of biting the nails too, im not sure what pink part your taking about tho.can u clarify?

marc72

advice

i used to have that problem perhaps not as serous as yours but perhaps try puttin baby oil on them and when you have tendency to bite it will be repulsive .I stopped cold turkey when my case manager looked at them and said i should stop biting them. I felt nervous and embarrased so I stopped cold turkey . However, I would suggest you see a doctor perhaps you can hear what they have to say and listen to their advice. You never know you might get infection or something. Or chew gum or soemthing to keep your mind of of it.

marc72

advice

i used to have that problem perhaps not as serous as yours but perhaps try puttin baby oil on them and when you have tendency to bite it will be repulsive .I stopped cold turkey when my case manager looked at them and said i should stop biting them. I felt nervous and embarrased so I stopped cold turkey . However, I would suggest you see a doctor perhaps you can hear what they have to say and listen to their advice. You never know you might get infection or something. Or chew gum or soemthing to keep your mind of of it.

steveparker

I used a nail hardening liquid from Avon on my nails, it took some will power but the liquid made my nails really hard I could not bite them.

The pink bit hasnt grown back yet but I am hoping as they look a little strange at the moment

sweetsour_eisha

i'm biting my nail right now 8O ...
my nails look small but not strange though..the thing is that i do not only bite my nails but also the skin surrounding it..u know the fingertips.. :?: to the point it's red and my fingertips look almost shiny :oops: it hurts if i bit too deep i can't stop myself from biting the rest of it..almost unconciously at the time..geeee..am i the only one who's doing this? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

cammo

I bought this book as a skeptic but after 25 years of biting my nails I've stopped and don't get the urge to do so anymore. It really does work - a bit Kooky, but, as I said, It does work!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...103-4104287-1951810?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

The longer you let your nails grow and look after them, the longer the 'pink bits' will get.
I too had the problem when I first stopped biting my nails - half my nail would be white & without the help of the book above, I probably would have annihilated them.

jojosparkles

you could get nail extensions put on and they shouldnt damage ya nail if ya get them removed properly. u can take them off yaself by soaking cotton wool in acetone putting it over each nail and then wrappin each finger in tin foil. it just dissolves the gel or acrylic off. also you can get gentle gel extensions that dont hurt ya nail or sculptured nails where they just build up your nail while it grows underneath.

if ya dont want extensions tho...u can get nailtiques proteins for nails! they quite pricey but well worth it! you just paint it on like nail varnish and they repair ya nail! there is a few different types for different nail problems!

make sure u keep pushin ya cuticles back and havin regular manicures. use nail strengthener aswell.

hope i might have been a bit help

love and bubbles jojo xxxxxxxxx

riverbelow

sweetsour_eisha said:
i'm biting my nail right now 8O ...
my nails look small but not strange though..the thing is that i do not only bite my nails but also the skin surrounding it..u know the fingertips.. :?: to the point it's red and my fingertips look almost shiny :oops: it hurts if i bit too deep i can't stop myself from biting the rest of it..almost unconciously at the time..geeee..am i the only one who's doing this? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

i do that too, it does hurt when you bite too deep ive done that several times before :x ow!