help - so scared of how they will react in work!

jen84

Hi ! I have suffered with facial blushing, social anxiety and erythrophobia (fear of going red) for many years. This generally only happens in work and it's gotten so bad recently. when people talk to me i blush! It's crazy because they only have ask me how i am and i go beetroot. For me, i hate to be centre of attention and if anyone asks me a question infront of another person i get even worse. I really love my job but feel that this is holding me back. I feel as though i am quite young (23) (conpared to alot of them at work who are mostly in their 30s) so i kinda been inferior.

My biggest problem athe moment is making an annoucement that is sure to get me some attention - positive attention - but still it's going to make me blush like crazy! I am 4 and a half weeks pregnant and it was planned so we're over the moon but im really dreading telling people at work! It's not that im not proud or happy but its just i know i will go red when people make a fuss or congratulate me. I'm not planning on telling them until i'm 12 wks but have already told my boss as i know this is for insurance purposes. Please help me ! any tips ??? i dont want to stress for the next 7 and 1/2 weeks because i dont want it to affect my baby.

xxx

GloomySunday

Congratulations, that's brilliant news :D

I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably ask my boss to make the announcement on my behalf, but right at the end of the day so you can make a quick getaway after people have wished you well.

"Ah, well, got to dash...lots of things to do for the new arrival!" could be a good parting shot!

If it's done on a Friday, then by Monday people would have had time to take the information in, and will be a lot more laid back, but pleasant, with you from that point onwards.

jen84

thanx gloomy sunday - That is good advice. I prob will do it n a friday and i was gunna wait until i have a scan pic as a prop for distraction lol - that way they will be looking at my scan rather than at me - hopefully i will blush less! I kinda dont mind making the announcement myself because i can be selective and find ways to do it one on one rather than a big group of people. I just know that many people will hear by word of mouth (it is a big office) and will come over to congratulate me which makes me uneasy as it will catch me off guard.

any other tips any1?